so far away [ tagged ]

star on silent night Avatar
star on silent night
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 29, 2020 9:30:17 GMT
star

i miss the years that were erased.
i miss the sunshine would light up your face.
[attr="class","bandittext"]He’d awakened that day to find the camp alive, cats rushing to and fro on the busy spring day. Rain threatened the horizon, turning the sky from a sweet blue to a sickening gray-green, so it sort of made sense. Rocks became slippery whenever they got wet, and it was unsame to be climbing up and down the mountain in the middle of a thunderstorm, so it seemed everyone was pitching in paws to make sure the days’ tasks were done for the day.

That was why he’d been awakened, sent on an impromptu mission with the scouts to ensure their safety from predators up above and keep an eye on the churning clouds to warn the party when it would be time to return. Their hunting trip had been successful, as it seemed the threat of rain had all the animals on edge and preparing, mice and rabbits bountiful and even a hawk the size of himself had been taken down as it tried to snatch a rabbit from the air before Dragonfly. While Star was never one to hunt, he’d moved quickly into action seeing the massive brown bird swoop down toward the bengal she-cat, though he’d been both surprised and disappointed when she beat him to the blow, practically riping it out of the sky with experienced paws.

You shouldn’t be so surprised, she’s impressive. His mind knowingly chortled, but Star found a goofy smile sitting on his face as he watched her continue to hunt. He called rain as the horizon darkened and blurred, showing that rain was falling at the mountains edge and if they were lucky, they’d escape back to camp without getting too wet. Star was determined, as his pelt was much too soft and absorbed water far too much. He hated the sensation and it’d take him hours to dry.

Standing at his perch on the cliffs above the hunters, he scanned his eyes over each, ensuring they weren’t stalking another piece of pray before calling out “Let’s go, this was a good hunt, but the rain is coming.” He was quick to jump down from his perch, beelining for the bengal she-cat he often found himself pining after. “Here, let me carry something, dear.” The word slipped off his tongue easily, and despite having no ground to call her anything other than her name, he found it easily rolled off his lips as he gently bumped his forehead against her shoulder before taking up the hawk that she’d killed, pride shining in his eyes.
Great job today.” He purred through the feathers of the creature, making his words more of a garbled mess, but maybe she’d know him well enough to make it out. The smell of rain was getting stronger and he had to fight a scowl as the first raindrops fell from the sky above. Dipping his head, he lead the way back to camp, his movements quick but the ginger tom would occasionally pause to look back at the feline behind him to make sure she was with him.

By the time they returned, the rain was falling steadily and his dense pelt was saturated with water, a feeling that made his skin crawl. But they dropped the food at the pile and he smiled at her all the same, hopeful for her company for a little a while longer. “I know it just started raining, but would you come with me?” He asked softly, his bright green eyes searching hers. It was nearing that time of the month, so she likely already knew what was coming, but Star was patient. And that didn’t change the fact that every moon, he’d hope she found a reason to stay by his side.

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#938C50;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
thirty-five
male
he/him
heterosexual
SENTRY
NA
BANDIT
dragonfly hovers over water Avatar
dragonfly hovers over water
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 30, 2020 1:55:13 GMT
i don't wanna live my life in circles
The hawk had been a lucky catch. In all honesty, Dragonfly had presumed they were after the rabbit. She had realized the predator above a little late, and luckily she was under enough cover for it to swoop in on the rabbit and not her instead. She chided herself for being so careless. Tunnel vision. She called it. Focusing too hard on the kill and losing awareness of her surroundings. But luckily, the other hunters had reacted quickly, and they managed to bring down the big bird. 

A kill is a kill, she sighed her herself despite her suboptimal performance. Absentmindedly, she felt the prey slip out of her mouth. 

"O-oh, Star. Thank you," she meowed at the stocky tom who offered to carry the prey. Her cheeks grew hot. The handsome ginger tom was another reason for Dragonfly to be unfocused. She could not help but want to impress him.

Not long after the reached the camp, Star wanted to go outside again. The thought of more time with him delighted her, but she glanced at amusement at her long time friend's fuzzy pelt.

"Are you sure? I'd love to come along but you're a little less waterproof than I," she declared jokingly and swatted an unlucky few raindrops off Star's shoulders. As many times as Star had asked her, Dragonfly never saw it coming when the next moon rose. She always wanted to say that there would be a day when she was ready, but she could not lie to Star. The tom's clear green eyes seemed to drill right through her. Dragonfly did not know if she was ever ready to face her family again, let alone create her own. 

But there was another complication to add to her reasons for rejecting him.

"And... you don't need to go tend to Butterfly?" she uttered softly with a grain of salt on her lips. With the amount of time that Star spent with her sister, Dragonfly did not dare get too close to him, no matter their feelings. Why would she, anyway? He had plenty of options. Butterfly being the most likely one of them. 

She held her head high. Right now, dignity mattered far more to her than love. 
● here goess ● 387 words
MADE BY MIZO

PEBBLES
35 moons
female
she/her
undecided
scout
io
star on silent night Avatar
star on silent night
Tribe of Fiery Skies
May 9, 2020 6:48:13 GMT
star

i miss the years that were erased.
i miss the sunshine would light up your face.
[attr="class","bandittext"]He chuckled lightly at the way she looked out for his less-than water resistant coat. He'd already taken that into consideration, just how uncomfortable he'd be if his pelt got too dampened by the rain that was gently dripping from the sky above. If they were lucky, they'd reach the cave he had in mind before the worst of the storm came. It wasn't far, but it would be nice exercise to jump up the crags. He hadn't taken her here before, but part of him wondered if the secret place had already been discovered by the bengal feline. All the same, it'd be a special place for them in the future, should she decide to say yes this time.

Ten times. Ten times she'd turned him down, said no. Ten times she'd assured him that they were good friends, that she cared about him. But ten times, he'd felt a soft pang of regret, of sadness, knowing that the feelings he had for her weren't reciprocated. But that didn't mean he wouldn't try. Determination flashed behind his bright green eyes, and he chuckled as she batted away the raindrops that hadn't soaked into his fluffy pelt. It resisted the first few droplets, but the second the downpour would come, it would surely take hours for him to dry out, so he would have to make quick work of getting them there, least he wanted to spend the next hour bathing to try to prevent the smell of wet fur from tainting the moment.

"Of course I'm sure." He said with a smirk and a small roll of his eyes. "A little water won't hurt me. And if we move quickly, it won't matter." Though his jovial mood darkened only slightly at the mention of Butterfly, his ears flicking downward in a sign of regret. It was hard to deny that the sisters were not close, in fact, he knew that their relationship had been on-existent for moons. He'd feared that there would be resentment from one - or both of them - when he'd been assigned to be Butterfly's primary guard. She needed extra attention and support due to her deafness. An ailment he couldn't imagine being cursed with. The world already had a terribly lonely quality about it, he couldn't dream of a deafened silence that blanketed the beauty it held.

"I promise, I'm all yours today." He said with a small smile. It'd taken some work with Burn, but thankfully when it came to his duties, because Star was so willing to support the tribe, he only needed to ask that Burn not assign Butterfly for one day of patrol and he usually got the request - since it typically only came once a moon. And it wasn't like hunting patrols included every cat every day. "Come on, before the rain starts coming down too badly and the cliffs get slippery." He lead the way out of camp and down a narrow path that wound through undergrowth along the edge of the mountain. The mountainside below threatened rain, the dampened rocks showing what was coming their way as he turned and started picking his way upward, his paw steps careful. And occasionally, his green gaze would cast backward toward her, knowing full well that she could handle this but still being sure to make sure she was safe and not falling too far behind.

By the time they reached the top, his breath was short, his stout legs making the trek up harder, but once they reached the overhang he wanted, it opened to a small opening. Small enough that his stocky self almost didn't fit, but once inside, it opened to cozy cave with cracks along the roof that, were the stars kind enough to show themselves, they'd peer through the cracks above.

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#938C50;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
thirty-five
male
he/him
heterosexual
SENTRY
NA
BANDIT
dragonfly hovers over water Avatar
dragonfly hovers over water
Tribe of Fiery Skies
May 10, 2020 2:29:32 GMT
i don't wanna live my life in circles
There was a slight trip in her step and a stumble over the rocks as Dragonfly followed Star along the mountainside. She did not question where Star was taking her, or why they were traveling. She focused her energy on not making a fool of herself in front of the tom. Neither did she question why Star was not with Butterfly today. She presumed Burn had other plans for once, and Dragonfly did not dare ask, refusing to acknowledge their sister relationship at all. 

Instead, she walked in a rather comfortable silence, enjoying the company but not quite registering where they were traveling to. Despite their long friendship, she still often found it hard to decipher what Star's true thoughts were. Perhaps it was partly her clouded judgment; she hoped for something she knew she did not deserve.

"Wait, Star --" Dragonfly gave a confused meow as Star disappeared into the small space between the overhang. She questioned how she would fit through such a space, but if Star's stockier form could fit, Dragonfly felt ashamed not trying. Taking a deep breath, she squeezed through the small opening after Star.

The small shaft of space was certainly a treasured little spot, sheltered from the outside world and the rain. It was rather dark, but not so dark that it was uncomfortable. To her surprise, the cave opened up overhead to the stars that hung calmly above their heads. She was stunned for a little, the tranquility getting to the normally icy she-cat.

"Oh..." Dragonfly gave a soft and surprised sigh. The area had seemed so familiar to her, but as usual, the Tribe's territory never failed to surprise her with its little secrets. Star never failed to surprise her. It was a beautiful little secret, and it couldn't help but make her wonder how Star found this little crevice. 

"Do you think," she began softly, settling into the small and private spot. "This is what your mother saw when she named you? It's beautiful."

She glanced over at Star. Her actions were confusing and perhaps misleading, Dragonfly knew that, but she could not bear to ruin the moment. The tom's intentions were completely clear to her, but every moon she relived the pain of their differences. It was moments like this that made it hard to lie, to say that she had zero feelings for him.

"Look at your fur, you soggy lump," she turned back to Star and teased his fluffy but rain-dappled pelt. Running her tongue over his shoulders, Dragonfly wordlessly washed the muck from their travels out of his ginger fur. 
● moved lol  ● 445 words
MADE BY MIZO

PEBBLES
35 moons
female
she/her
undecided
scout
io

Quick Reply