sickness in the air [tagged]

hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
Apr 24, 2020 2:43:53 GMT
hornetcall
i know there's no life after you
[attr="class","bandittext"]He'd awakened that morning with one thing on his mind, but he tried his best not to dwell on the pretty little tabby face that filled his thoughts. It was silly to think of her as anything more than an acquaintance, as he knew it was likely they would both go their own separate ways in a moon or two (or whenever the clans got to separating themselves). So Hornetcall found himself wandering the territory with a bit of an aimlessness to his pawsteps. It was hard to focus today, though he couldn't tell if that was because of the kits that seemed to dance circles around him in his dreams or the face of the she-cat who kept him up half the night as he thought about the way her features lit up when she realized there was indeed a place to run here in CreekClan.

Hornetcall tried to rationalize that he was only thinking about her so much because he'd just spent the previous afternoon with her, that was the only logical explanation. And he quickly (or as quickly as he could) dismissed the thought. Though it was persistent and wiggled back in at every opportunity it had. Keeping his amber eyes locked on the path ahead, he padded forward. He'd been so lost in thought he nearly missed the small pawprints that marked the soft muddy ground. It had rained the night prior, so the normally soft ground was unusually pliable, leaving him sinking with each paw step but as long as he kept moving forward, it wasn't too terrible. The paw prints were small - certainly - but definitely feline. And if there was one ability that Hornetcall took pride in (second to maybe only his fighting) was his ability to track.

The scent was that of OneClan, but there was something different about it. He'd grown used to the stench of all the clans merging together, but based on the size of the pawprints, he decided it worthy to check it out. He racked his brain for a few moments before the realization hit him. They were kit-like. Maybe a little older - a young apprentice, perhaps.

And they were approaching the quarantine zone.

His eyes snapped upward toward the path he'd been following absently, uncertain how old they were. The rain made such things harder to tell because the wet mud filled with water and tended to make the treds harder to gauge, but luckily the rain had stopped well before these tracks were made. They weren't that old, which meant the feline was still here.

And that was when he spotted the multi-colored pelt of a clumsy young she-cat that crouched in the undergrowth. Were she older and had more experience in concealing herself, he might have missed her entirely, but he was swift in his approach, wasting no time as he wasn't sure how old the cat was. For a brief moment, he'd feared it was Strikekit or Adderkit - the thought of them being out of camp and worrying Berrychirp flared his anger for a brief moment, though it quickly quelled when he didn't recognize this cat - at least not well enough to name her.

"You!" His voice boomed as he called to the younger she-cat, not once considering how large he was or intimidating he could be. "Where do you think you're going? You're not allowed out here."

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#508ae4;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
Vrieseapaw Avatar
Vrieseapaw
Oneclan
Apr 24, 2020 6:45:33 GMT
[googlefont="Comfortaa"]

VRIESIEAPAW

oop well, she tried lol

She might act the good little honeyed apprentice, but sometimes Vrieseapaw could not obey her own self-indulgent act. It was not that she got frustrated with it...well okay, she definitely did, but that was not what brought her out today. No, they could keep thinking that, she just...she wanted to see her mother. No, she had to see her, because her mother was being kept from her in a whole other territory and it just was not fair. She was supposed to be with them, to raise them and look after them and love them and...she was supposed to be here.

So, if her mama was not going to come to them, then Vrieseapaw decided she would just have to go to her. If she had paid the most attention to anything whilst being shown the territory, it was where the quarantine was. And they certainly were set on showing her, trying to drill into her mind that she could not go there, that it was bad and she could get sick and the cats there had to stay separate to keep everyone safe...but that was stupid! Who cared anyway? Its not like other sick cats have to stay away! She heard stories of greencough and other things and no one was ever kicked out of camp then so why did her mama have to be any different?

It was hardly a short journey for such a young feline - really it was rather tiring to be quite honest. However, Vrieseapaw was determined, and she was not as weak as everyone painted her to be. As she painted herself to be. She would get there and make it to her mother and then she would not have to leave. She didn't care if she got sick, she would stay with her mum and learn to hunt there, and she could look after her so she could get better quicker...right? She had to!

She was close now. It smelled kind of weird beyond the border, but then...everything smelled weird when it was new anyway. This was supposed to be her home so the scent definitely would not be weird for long...right? Just a few more steps and no one would even follow her because they were too scared, and then she could go to her mother and-

Startled, Vrieseapaw froze at the loud, booming voice. If she was Valerianpaw she probably would have gotten scared and run away - but she wasn't some scaredy mouse! No, she was more worried that she would get in trouble, and then she would never get to see her mama. But if he did not suspect...turning back to the stranger with wide, round eyes - wow he looked a lot like Beekit and his father, who was he anyway? - the little molly set her ears back and peered up at the hulking feline. At least she did not need to fake a startled look, the tom had nearly scared her pelt off, yelling at her so loud like that.

"I-I'm sorry, I got lost...I was just trying to catch a mouse or something for Berrychirp because she looked after me so nice after..." Trailing off, the little molly slunk away from the border, though not really closer to the big tom, and blinked up at him in her best shot at innocence. It was pretty reasonable that an apprentice her age would get lost out here - she almost got turned around five times just trying to get here, after all. Maybe he would believe her and he would just tell her to be careful and take her back to camp. Then she could just try again and be more careful next time...right? "Would you help me find her one?"
☽LIA☾

PEBBLES
6 Moons
Female
She/Her
Undecided
Apprentice
Covesplash
Nyara
hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
May 1, 2020 1:44:13 GMT
hornetcall
[attr="class","bandittext"]Standing over the frozen little calico before him, Hornetcall wondered if he should have taken a softer approach when it came to addressing the young feline. After all, he could be quite intimidating. Judging by the large, rounded eyes that turned toward him as he stood over her, he worried for a brief moment that he’d taken it too far. He hadn’t meant to startle her, after all. It was just that cats this young weren’t allowed near the quarantine lands and he wouldn’t be responsible for any kits turning up sick. Especially not one that Berrychirp had watched for any length of time. She likely wouldn’t forgive him if he’d been that careless, and with everything going on right now…

Snapping his attention back to the little she-cat, he watched her stammer, and while part of him was skeptical that one could get so turned around as to end up here - especially considering she was from GorgeClan, he nodded slowly. After all, she was young, a new apprentice, so it was unlikely that she’d have any clue how to return home.

Arching his brow, he slowly looked her over once more, though when he spoke, his words were certainly more accusatory than they needed to be. “You’re awfully young to be out of camp without your mentor. Covesplash or another warrior has to accompany you - especially with everything that’s happening right now.” Hornetcall’s pelt fluffed as he grew frustrated with the lack of professionalism demonstrated by Covesplash. He wasn’t that young of a warrior, was he really that stupid to let his apprentice wander around without knowing where she was?

Have you learned to hunt yet?” He asked skeptically, before adding, “Just… look. I’ll help you hunt down a mouse for Berrychirp as long as you promise me you won’t leave camp again without a warrior with you. Not your sister, not another apprentice, a warrior. You’re far too young to be venturing out without someone to keep an eye on you. How do you think Berrychirp would feel if you got sick? Or your mother?” Hornetcall struggled to talk to cats that were so young, they seemed so idealistic, and he just didn’t know how to convey to them that being that way was ridiculous other than outright saying so. And for some reason, he figured that wouldn’t be the way she’d learn.

Taking a deep breath, he slowly turned away from the quarantine, flicking his tail toward the forest and signaling that she could lead the way. While he’d never personally minded training apprentices, Hornetcall disliked laziness in others, and right now, knowing that Covesplash had allowed his apprentice to wander freely through CreekClan without a chaperone made him irritable, but he did his best to avoid taking it out on the young she-cat.

After all, she didn’t know any better, right?

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
Vrieseapaw Avatar
Vrieseapaw
Oneclan
May 5, 2020 4:07:29 GMT
[googlefont="Comfortaa"]

VRIESIEAPAW

Did he believe her? He did not really seem like he did, not entirely, with the way he rose his brow and stared down at her. Yet then again he was not exactly arguing against it either. Warriors were weird. Maybe he felt bad for yelling at her and startling her. Maybe he thought she was Creekclan too but now he was not sure he had any right to discipline her. Though then again, her mentor was from his clan too. Maybe that was just because he lived here though...this whole Oneclan thing was a weird concept to grasp for the young molly. They were all together in a group but they all came from separate groups and some thought it was good and others thought it was bad and...Vrieseapaw cut off her rambling thoughts as the tom spoke, ears pricking toward him.

He sure sounded accusatory...something about his tone and the way he looked at her, big a looming, made the molly stand up a little straighter, paws aligned a little neater as she peered up at him as though her were someone she ought to pay attention to. Not that she had the slightest clue who he was, even if he looked familiar... "Oh okay, sorry!" the molly chirped out, tail flicking behind her as she blinked up at the tom once more, pouring as much innocence and apology as she could into her fluffy little face.

The tom seemed doubtful, and though his question niggled her a little bit, Vrieseapaw had to be honest. Ducking her head, she pawed at the ground slightly. "Well, not really. I got taught crouching and stalking and pouncing the other day but I haven't caught anything yet really...but it can't be that hard, right? There's always lots of mice on the prey pile!" Perking up, the apprentice lifted her head again and stared up at the huge tom. Would she be as big and strong as him one day? She wondered if he liked hunting, or if he preferred fighting, and if he thought fish were gross and catching them was boring. Probably not, he was a Creekclan cat, he probably thought squirrels were gross instead. How weird.

As her thoughts carried her attention away yet again, Vrieseapaw nearly missed all that the tom had gone on to say, before part of it caught her attention. From her former look of fascination and innocence came a look of offence to take its place, and the apprentice lashed her tail behind her with a huff. "Valerianpaw is my brother, I don't have a sister anymore," she pointed out bluntly, still not sure how to feel about that particular fact. After all...she did not remember her sister all that well, just how sad her ma was when Verbana died...it was frustrating, the way everyone looked at her like she was meant to feel sad and she was not sure why she didn't.

The apprentice glared at the warrior a moment longer, offended for her brother's sake, before shaking her head and bounding slightly ahead of him as he signaled her to lead. Not that she knew exactly where to look for mice...well, she'd find something. "I will ask a warrior to take me next time I want to try hunting again, and you won't call Valerianpaw a she-cat anymore, okay? He's just a little scaredy, not a molly."
☽LIA☾

PEBBLES
6 Moons
Female
She/Her
Undecided
Apprentice
Covesplash
Nyara
hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
May 21, 2020 23:46:03 GMT
hornetcall
[attr="class","bandittext"]Hornetcall huffed slightly at the she-cat's admittance to having never hunted successfully before, his shoulders falling as he tried his best not to show the complete frustration he felt toward the little feline. She didn't understand what she'd done wrong - not like that made it better. "I'll be sure to talk with your mentor later. He grunted, though it was mostly for himself as he trotted toward the undergrowth and back away from the border, flicking his tail for her to follow. "Come, we'll change that today."

Hornetcall forced his mind not to wander from the younger feline, for he didn't much trust her yet. While he wasn't much for pleasant conversation, he didn't exactly think that he could trust the words coming out of the witty little she-cat's mouth.

As she corrected him, he pulled himself to a stop and grunted slightly in response. Valerianpaw was a boy. How was he supposed to know? What a weird name. Vervainflower certainly didn't make it easy to tell. "Sorry." He offered, though it was more in habit to her offended tone and gaze than it was to truly apologize for her... feelings? Whatever she was upset about. He didn't really know.

"I won't make the mistake again, I promise you that." He said, though his thoughts were slowly drifting away from her. As she bounded ahead, Hornetcall stepped through the undergrowth, careful not to let the excited little feline bounce too far out from his line of vision. "So, why mice? Why not something more impressive if you're going to sneak out and hunt down anything on your own for the first time?"

### |

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
Vrieseapaw Avatar
Vrieseapaw
Oneclan
May 26, 2020 2:12:41 GMT
[googlefont="Comfortaa"]

VRIESIEAPAW

"Oh." The single word escaped the apprentice softly and quietly, an obvious thread of disappointment to it as she settled her ears back slightly in distaste. Talk to her mentor? Great! Now she was definitely going to get in trouble. Not that she figured her mentor was even capable of being scary - he sure did not seem the scolding type in her eyes - but now she had probably made him look bad, at the very least, and then he definitely would not like her. What if that meant he would take her training less seriously, or leave her less room for mistakes? How would she ever learn then? She was supposed to become a great apprentice and excel beyond the rest to make a name for herself, and here she was getting in trouble like a naughty kit!

His offer to at least change her lack of success in hunting, however, at least pricked Vrieseapaw's ears forward again as she blinked up at the large tom. Yes! Maybe she would get in trouble, which was a pain, but hey - if she caught something, they might be more forgiving, and then her mentor would still train her. Tail swishing pleasurably at the thought, the apprentice dismissed her annoyance to dwell upon later. She had to make up for being caught, after all.

His apology did not exactly seem sincere. However, part of the apprentice still believed him when he said he would not do it again. Was he trying hard to be liked too? Lots of cats said not to care what others thought, but she could often tell they still did - it was silly. Did they not want to be liked, to have friends and be respected? Vrieseapaw could not think of anything better than the clans being proud of her, than her family being proud of her...maybe this weird tom was the same. Or maybe he just did not know how to talk to apprentices. Weird.

Either way, he made a promise, and the apprentice's chin lifted proudly to it. "Good," she chirped firmly, before continuing to bound on her way without dragging out the issue further. instead she focused upon the scents around her as Covesplash had taught her, determined to pinpoint something she could catch.

Just as she found a scent - stale, to her disappointment - the tom drew her attention back. He was criticizing again, and her ears settled part way back as she flicked her tail. Was he one of those cats that were always asking silly questions? Or maybe he just thought he was better and had to judge everyone around him. It sure did not seem rare these days, especially between the fish-eaters and the tree-climbers. It was ridiculous, honestly. They were all living together, deal with it.

"Because its my first time," the molly pointed out, echoing his own term of phrase matter-of-factly as she turned back to face him. There was a sense of dissatisfaction curling her stomach as she spoke, but she held her head steady, determined to explain herself. It made sense, it had to! She was not weak or pathetic, she was just being reasonable. Wasn't she? "Rabbits and birds aren't exactly easy, so I thought I'd go for something I could actually catch for my first try so I could bring something back. Its not stupid!" Tail giving a brief lash behind her, the molly turned as set about finding a fresher trail, hoping the tom was done now with all his judging.
☽LIA☾

PEBBLES
6 Moons
Female
She/Her
Undecided
Apprentice
Covesplash
Nyara

Quick Reply