shadows of the past { open / dragonfly }

Flutter of a Bird's Wing Avatar
Flutter of a Bird's Wing
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 20, 2020 7:49:13 GMT
flutter

and i don't want the world to see me
because i don' think that they'd understand
[attr="class","bandittext"]Since she'd woken up in the care of the tribe over a week ago, her injuries were slowly beginning to heal. She was able to move without the deeper gashes breaking open once more, and the fever from infection had finally given way and she could see clearly for the first time in days. But with that clarity came the memory of how she'd gotten so hurt and she often remained reclused from the watchful and curious eyes of the rest of the tribe. Flamewatcher had assured her that she was welcome to stay, but it didn't curb the anxiety that flooded her senses and made her feel like she was underwater, the muffled sounds of voices and the bustle of the camp felt like it was worlds away.

And she'd been so consumed by that feeling of drowning that she hadn't realized the gasp for air she made until it escaped her mouth. Her chest felt tight, and she struggled to pull in a full breath. To an outsider, she might have looked like she was choking and due to her injuries and the state she'd been in for the last week, it seemed most of the tribe kept an anxious eye on her, much to her dissatisfaction. But as she tried to find a way to pull herself out of the depths, a voice broke through. It felt like an echo in her flooded mind, but she focused on it. Hey... hey!

Snapping back, her eyes lifted from the place she'd been staring for several minutes without even realizing it to see a set of turquoise eyes locked on her. Are you good? The voice didn't necessarily seem concerned, but like most of the cats here, they didn't seem keen on having her dead in the middle of their camp. Not that she blamed them. "Um..." Her voice was soft and her mouth felt dry, the sound she made came out as more of a strangled wheeze than a real word. "Yeah." She swallowed hard, nodding her head instead, not sure if she could rely on her words to convey that she really was alright. At least, more alright than maybe she appeared on the outside.

"Sorry, I was... um..." She paused, lost on the word before continuing her train of thought. "Thinking. I was thinking." She offered a faint smile, a tight-lipped one that barely turned up the corners of her maw, but she continued. "I've been here a week now... and I h-haven't really been much use to the tribe. So... so I thought I could... could hunt?" Flutter's gaze remained lowered, carefully avoiding meeting the she-cat's before her. "But I um... don't know where the hunting happens here... or frankly what there is to hunt here. I've... I've never really... been in the mountains b-before now." Her words remained choppy and broken, but it was obvious the dainty feline was looking for a distraction, one that would hopefully stop the constant loop that played over in her head.

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#938C50;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
TWENTY-FIVE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
BISEXUAL
SENTRY
NA
BANDIT
dragonfly hovers over water Avatar
dragonfly hovers over water
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 20, 2020 20:51:17 GMT
i don't wanna live my life in circles
Her pads felt the familiar feeling of stone. She was as still as the rest of the mountainous world around her. She closed her eyes for a second, as to detect the faintest of vibrations through the stony floor. A hare was nearby.

Dragonfly opened her mouth to scent her prey. The wind was blowing toward her, concealing her scent from the poor mammal. She dropped into a crouch. But another scent wafted toward her. The hare must have detected it too, because its ears shot up and it took off into the undergrowth. Dragonfly did not bother pursuing the creature; hares ran and dodged faster than she cared to chase. 

The scent that had disturbed her catch was that of Flutter. Sure enough, around the rocky bend, Dragonfly spotted the calico she-cat. Flutter seemed lost in thought. It was unlike any Tribe cat to just stay out open like this, but since Flutter had shown up rather recently, Dragonfly figured she was still a little overwhelmed. She made herself known to Flutter, calling out a greeting, but the molly didn't seem to notice her until Dragonfly stood right in front of her.

"I know you're fully capable of defending yourself," Dragonfly began tersely. "But still, might not want to stand out here waiting for a falcon or other big bird to catch you."

At Flutter's next words, Dragonfly decided to invite herself to sit down for a little. The hunt had been hard recently. Flutter was a sentry, not a scout. She was not sure why a sentry would want to hunt, they had plenty of tasks to do themselves. While sentries could hunt when they wanted to, most of them did not seem any good at it, and even fewer seemed to enjoy as much as Dragonfly and the other scouts did.

"You... don't have to hunt... and you're not going to catch anything standing upwind," Dragonfly reminded her gently. She did not know much about Flutter's past, but the newcomer had arrived starving and wounded. Food must have been a problem in the past for Flutter, she presumed. "If you're hungry, I caught a small starling back there. Feel free to help yourself."

Dragonfly motioned toward where she had carefully stored her day's prey. Meanwhile, she quickly glanced over the younger she-cat's demeanor. Normally, sentries would train or patrol the Tribe territories, tracking any predators or fighting off dangers. However, it was probably wise for Flamewatcher to hold off on those duties for the newcomer. Flutter certainly was not used to mountain life and her injuries were not fully healed. Dragonfly understood what it felt like to feel useless though, so she decided to search for a plausible solution.

"If you really want though," Dragonfly offered hesitantly, "I could show you some hunting tricks around here."
● here's the girl ● 475 words
MADE BY MIZO

PEBBLES
35 moons
female
she/her
undecided
scout
io
Flutter of a Bird's Wing
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 26, 2020 20:18:19 GMT
flutter

[attr="class","bandittext"]The words that Dragonfly said barely registered in her swimming mind and Flutter found herself staring at the feline before her just a little too long with a look of sheer confusion on her face before it all registered. She wasn't daft, just preoccupied. "Yeah, sorry." Another meager apology before she quickly turned her thoughts back to the feline before her. "Aren't I a little big to be carried off by a falcon?" Though the question was semi-sarcastic, there was an edge of concern that laced the malnourished feline's words, her gold eyes meeting the blue of Dragonfly's before quickly skirting away again.

Deciding not to cast the confused gaze toward the other she-cat as she sat down beside her, Flutter instead found herself avoiding eye contact entirely, lifting her gaze back up to the cloudless sky. "I k-know I don't have to... F-Flamewatcher explained the responsibilities of a s-s-sentry to me." She stammered out, glancing shyly toward the older feline as she continued. "N-no! I'm not hungry." She practically yelped out, her voice panicked at the question and despite the clear undernourishment in the tiny calico's body and the impatient growl her stomach made, she remained adamant she wasn't hungry, not wanting to burden this tribe any more than she already had. Flamewatcher had said it had taken days for her to stabilize and that she'd used a lot of herbs to help her pull through. The idea of stock being wasted on her made the feline's ears burn hot with shame.

Her eyes slowly drifted toward the spot that Dragonfly indicated, though she was quick to divert her gaze from it. In truth, she didn't want to come off ungrateful for everything the tribe had done so far. Taking her in, curing the infection, feeding her what they could spare. The thought of taking more was appalling, especially considered it was more than she usually was allowed back with Bird. Here, she ate at least every other day, which was a feast compared to the two to three day spans she often went on. This was paradise. She didn't want to be turned away for being ungrateful.

"I j-just want to help. Since F-Flamewatcher said I cannot spar until my wounds are h-healed, but I want to be of use." She whispered the last bit, for fear of sounding childish. It was hard to think that she was taken in by a group of cats who knew nothing about her and that they were so willing to just let her live among them and heal until she could contribute. It frightened her, because never once had she seen such kindness and when she had, there had always been a motive.

However, she perked up slightly at the idea of being taught more about hunting, her ears twitching and eyes darting back to Dragonfly's face to figure out if the feline was lying to her. "Y-you could?" She asked timidly, before continuing. "I didn't... ever really learn." She whispered, almost frightened to admit how foolish it was that a cat of her age didn't know how to hunt properly. She knew the concept and had nothing but clumsy stances that worked fine for larger targets, like cats, but not as great for the delicate creatures she needed to feast on.

PEBBLES
TWENTY-FIVE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
BISEXUAL
SENTRY
NA
BANDIT
Tribe of Fiery Skies
Apr 27, 2020 2:28:23 GMT
The scout took a second to stare at Flutter. The calico she certainly seemed apologetic... for what? Dragonfly was a little wary of Flutter's words, as they seemed to quite contradict themselves. The molly looked quite underfed, and there was no doubt that she could use some food. Dragonfly had been hunting to and from from the camp all morning and had not seen Flutter take a single morsel. Did Flutter skip meals regularly?

"Are you sure you're not hungry?" she repeated her offer almost with an amused tone at the sound of Flutter's stomach. However, she didn't press the offer too strongly. Perhaps this cat preferred to hunt for their own food? Dragonfly would never know. Over the past few moons the Tribe had taken in a fair amount of outsiders, all with their strange customs and strange pelt colors. 

"Every cat is useful in the Tribe," the rather idealistic Dragonfly protested lightly. Flutter's ideas seemed rather binary. Why would an injured cat be expected to contribute to the Tribe? Surely their contributions would be ensured later if they focused on resting and recovering first. "Even the elders, they don't seem like they do much besides grumble and eat, but at times their wisdom is just as important as filling our bellies. I don't know where you come from, Flutter, but I'm sure you have plenty of wisdom to offer as well."

A thin smile on her face, Dragonfly glanced at Flutter, not sure if her words rang empty or not. She agreed, however, that if Flutter was indeed feeling useless, perhaps catching some small prey would make her feel better. It wasn't every day that a sentry showed interest to hunting, so Dragonfly figured it was a good idea to give them a little.

"Regarding hunting, it's not hard to learn. Some of the sentries never do. But we're all cats. Hunting is in our blood," she meowed. However, they weren't going to catch anything standing upwind. She wondered what sort of food Flutter might be more used to. Life in the mountains was not all that common, and outsiders would sometimes scoff at their strange fresh-kill.

"Say, what's your favorite food? Maybe we can go look for some," Dragonfly attempted to strike up a conversation as she moved toward a direction where the wind might be a little more favorable.
● notes  ● 397 words
MADE BY MIZO

PEBBLES
35 moons
female
she/her
undecided
scout
io
Flutter of a Bird's Wing
Tribe of Fiery Skies
May 1, 2020 1:36:47 GMT
flutter

[attr="class","bandittext"]The look Dragonfly gave her told Flutter that she hardly believed the words that came from her mouth. Not that she necessarily blamed her, as her stomach unkindly betrayed her only a few moments later, it’s angry rumble making her queasy. But she’d grown used to eating very, very little. Something that she maybe shouldn’t have been used to, but as she was already struggling with feeling like she belonged, she felt an overwhelming amount of guilt for taking kindness from these cats that she felt so undeserving of. After the things she’d done in her moons, after the things she’d seen…

Her mouth went dry and she swallowed hard, quickly looking for a distraction in the feline before her. Thankful she was given one - albeit one she already answered. “Y-yeah. I’m sure.” She stammered, her voice just above a whisper as she struggled to keep her head above water once more. Her eyes slowly shifted up to the bengal face before her, lingering there for several seconds. Every cat was useful? Even ones who lied around healing from illness and using up herbs? The ache of her muscles and fresh wounds that would surely scar left her immobile, useless, hardly able to function. How was that useful?

But she figured it better not to argue with the kindness of another - especially considering she didn’t think she deserved it at as it was. Swallowing hard, she simply just nodded, feigning a smile that tugged loosely at the corners of her lips. Would she be of use to the tribe? She could fight… and well. But they had so many cats capable of doing just that already. “I hope so.” She said quietly. “You have all been so kind to take me in. I want…” She lowered her gaze again, trying to find her words. “I want to be able to give back some of that kindness.

She was thankful to Dragonfly for relenting and giving her the benefit of the doubt. Bird and Bear were tactical about what they allowed cats in the band to learn, the hunters didn’t learn to fight and the fighters didn’t learn to hunt for fear that if they did, they’d be able to free themselves from their control. Starving fighters made them work harder to earn their keep and threatening to abandon the huntresses kept them loyal to the mates that were often ever-changing due to the deaths that occurred so regularly.

A flush formed, leaving her ears warm with how silly it seemed that someone of her age didn’t know how to hunt, but she tried to dismiss it quickly. “Fish. Or squirrels.” She added the second quickly as she knew very little about the territory. Having been cooped up in camp had led her to believe that all the tribe’s territory was was mountains and cliffs. She’d never been much of a climber, but Flutter had already figured that would have to change. The option of living in the mountains among cats who spent their entire lives hunting eagles and hawks - or at least that was what it seemed like anyway - she knew she’d adjust. And this was a kinder place than she’d ever known.

PEBBLES
TWENTY-FIVE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
BISEXUAL
SENTRY
NA
BANDIT
Tribe of Fiery Skies
May 1, 2020 20:38:31 GMT
Dragonfly studied Flutter's expression for a second. She was beginning to have an inkling of doubt about the molly. The cat was certainly closed off, and whatever their past had been, Dragonfly found it rather shocking that she would be injured to such an extent. The Tribe had been mostly isolated for a long time, and the presence of other cats had not disturbed them. Perhaps some other cats were not so lucky.

"Do you want to tell me about your life before you got here?" she meowed tersely as they walked. While it was unfair to probe a cat's past, she found it difficult to get to know most cats without hearing about it. 

Fish, or squirrels. The lithe bengal she almost gave a chuckle.
"Well, fish or squirrels are easy. I thought you might make a more extravagant request, like owl, for example." 

Let's start with fish, Dragonfly decided. Based on Flutter's healing wounds, it would be much easier to wait and snatch fish than to attempt suppressing a squirrel. If a squirrel as much as scratched Flutter, Dragonfly feared the Flamewatcher would sure have a word with her about protecting their guests.

Leading Flutter up to the closest riverbank, she gazed across the tumbling water and back at the calico she-cat. Fishing would be a good skill for her to have too, all you needed was some patience and some speed. Even the clumsiest, loudest sentry couldn't miss their mark by far. Besides, fish made for a good snack when you're out patrolling. She flicked her tail at the water, inviting Flutter forward. The only annoying part was getting your paws wet.

"Fishing is relatively straightforward. They can't smell you, only see you, so make sure your shadow doesn't fall over the water. They're easiest to catch in pools like this where the river slows down, see any fish?"
● notes ● 323 words
MADE BY MIZO

PEBBLES
35 moons
female
she/her
undecided
scout
io

Quick Reply