Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Apr 19, 2020 19:45:23 GMT

Flickerfrost
template by punki of adoxography
The price of & YOUR GREED,

your sons and your daughters
Things were different, now.

Just a few moons ago, she would be safe and content in her den, surrounded by the whole of GorgeClan and the chatter of clanmates. Just a few moons ago, the Spore was rising faster and faster but her paws were stained with herbs that were hers and she was confident in her abilities. Just a few moons ago, Fangstar was alive.

Now, CreekClan's unfamiliar scents threw her off every morning, the sounds of unknown cats around her irritated her, and nothing was normal. Littlebird was a great - she didn't want to use the word replacement, but that was what it boiled down to, in a way - cat, and Flickerfrost was satisfied with how she was doing in everything that was going on, but she stood for more change. It was infuriated, to be surrounded by so much change when there wasn't a single thing she could do to control it. At least she had Featherpaw with her, and having Spiderfrost was a great bonus as well. She'd be constantly worried if either of them had gone to GorgeClan. It wasn't that she didn't like Skywhisper or his new apprentice, but if she had to choose - she wouldn't be upset with the choices made.

Still, there were a lot of cats around and three medicine cats (though technically, one was an apprentice) was more than enough to care for them all, especially when the Spore was less of an issue. It wasn't necessarily an issue to have so many, far from it - but there were more pressing concerns other than a thorn in a paw.

So Flickerfrost tried her paw in hunting.

It had been quite some time since she had last went hunting, especially by herself, but she managed to snag two voles closer to the border with GorgeClan before she gave up, returning to camp with a wistful glance at her own territory. One went to the kill pile while the other went with her to the medicine den, hanging limply from her jaws as she coolly trotted through camp.

The medicine den seemed pretty similar to any other medicine den she could imagine, but it wasn't hers. She grumbled to herself, tearing into her vole.

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
Dawnfire Avatar
Dawnfire
Oneclan
Apr 20, 2020 0:23:50 GMT
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monlyrics2"]☼ D A W N F I R E
[attr="class","monbody2"]
The CreekClan medicine cat den had a special place in Dawnfire's heart. He was a sickly cat, constantly plagued by colds and allergies and other health issues. It had been even worse during his childhood, and with the Spore going around, he certainly considered himself lucky right now. The smell of herbs often clung to his pelt, and there were times when Berrybloom had suggested he become her apprentice. But that was a ridiculous idea; Dawnfire had always looked up to the warriors and dreamed of becoming a skilled hunter.

That didn't mean he spent any less time in that medicine cat's den though. Today as he wandered back into the camp, his paws absentmindedly carried him there again. Perhaps I'll visit Featherpaw, he thought to himself. Since the Spore began, Dawnfire had not talked to the GorgeClan medicine cat apprentice in a long time despite their brief friendship.

Sniffing the air, he didn't scent anyone over the smell of herbs, so he invited himself in.

He saw nothing wrong with it. He had been good friends with both Spiderfrost and Berrybloom since his kit days. To his surprise, there was no one inside. Dawnfire paced around for a little, observing the stocks that were missing and the stocks that were abundant. How times had changed! But this place never did. He hadn't been sick in a while, he realized. Maybe he was getting stronger.

A rustle startled the young tom, and the stern face of Flickerfrost appeared at the entrance of the den with a limp vole in her jaws. Dawnfire felt a jolt of anxiety at facing the GorgeClan medicine cat. She had never been a friendly one, had she?

"Uh... hi! Flickerfrost! I was... I was..." he couldn't come up with a good reason why he was there, poking around at their herb stocks. He was really just there for nostalgia, to remember the days when life was so easy. He would laugh with Berrybloom while coughing from his most recent illness, or play pranks on Spiderfrost during his training. But now, Dawnfire realized that the den was not just CreekClan's anymore.

"I was looking for... Featherpaw,"
he mumbled.

354 words

[attr="class","montag"]

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.mon2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#e6ae73;[/newclass]
[newclass=.mon2 img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monlyrics2]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:18px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#fafafa;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monbody2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#fafafa;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#555;[/newclass]
[newclass=.montag]text-align:center;font-size:9px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.montag a]font-size:9px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
male
hetero
IO
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Apr 21, 2020 19:39:57 GMT
Flickerfrost
The price of YOUR GREED,

your sons and our daughters
Had she really been so distracted and out of sorts that she hadn't even realized that someone was in the den as she entered? The sudden voice was startling, the only thing giving away her surprise a sudden flick of her tail. Was she getting senile in her young age? Putting up with GorgeClan apprentices would certainly do that to you, she assumed.

She waited until she was done with her bite before shooting disinterested eyes at the tom, a heavy suspiciousness in her glare. It wasn't a cat she knew by name - though, to be fair, that summed up a majority of the cats currently living in the camp she was restrained to. "
You were just ...  what?" Eyes rolling at the hesitation and evident uncomfortableness, Flickerfrost tore another chunk of her vole off, chewing slowly and staring all the while. Eventually, his reason was made clear and Flickerfrost let out a loose snort.

"
Yeah, well, as you can very clearly see, she isn't. Leave your name and scam, why don't you?" Another chunk of prey, another stretch of silence and unwavering staring. "Unless, of course, there's something I could help you with?" She flicked her tail around, gesturing to the entirely of the den even as she shoved the last chunk of meat into her mouth. "Since, you know, you are in the medicine cat den," she finished dryly, shoving away her bones. Part of her wished Featherpaw or Spiderfrost would come strolling in, save her from meaningless small talk, but another part of her almost wished something was wrong with the tom in front of her, if only to utilize the skills she feared were degrading.

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
Dawnfire Avatar
Dawnfire
Oneclan
Apr 22, 2020 3:31:11 GMT
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]Dawnfire couldn't help but smile. Flickerfrost's tart response only reminded him of the late Berrybloom, grumpy and snappy but a sweet old she. It was the reaction he had expected from the older medicine cat. As much as he respected the medicine cats, they certainly did not scare him. He had been here too often to just up and leave at Flickerfrost's words. Dawnfire decided he wanted a right to trespass in the medicine cat's den. It was a place that mattered a lot to him, and a place where his sickly body would inevitably continue to spend a lot of time.

"Hi Flickerfrost. My name's Dawnfire," he greeted happily, completely unfazed by Flickerfrost's attitude. "Featherpaw told me you're a great mentor!"

Now that another cat was here, Dawnfire finally had someone to chat with and intended on staying put. He plopped down in middle of the den, leaves scattering all around him, and watched Flickerfrost eat her vole with intense curiosity. It was just like him to do the opposite of what his superiors told him.

"Aw come on," he pouted in his childish, naive way. "Why you gotta make me scram so fast? I'm just here to stay a while. I used to hang out in here all the time with Spiderfrost and Berrybloom. I'm one of their best patients... the sickliest! But don't worry, I'm not sick right now. Maybe sick for a little company...!"

Dawnfire giggled a little at his own joke and looked up at Flickerfrost, hoping she would crack at least small smile.

243 words

[attr="class","montag"]

[newclass=.mon2 img]height:100px;width:100px;padding:15px;border:1px solid #fff;border-radius:100px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monlyrics2]text-align:center;font-family:verdana;font-size:18px;text-transform:uppercase;color:#fafafa;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.monbody2]width:340px;padding:40px;background:#fafafa;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;font-family:verdana;color:#555;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:8px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:8px;letter-spacing:1px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
male
hetero
IO
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Apr 26, 2020 18:06:55 GMT

Flickerfrost
The price of & YOUR GREED,

He wasn't leaving. He wasn't leaving for a reason other than needing assistance or treatment, no, he wasn't leaving because he wanted to talk. What had she done this time to deserve that? Did StarClan really insist on continuing to test her, to try her patience and see how long she could hold it together before flaying every apprentice and young warrior that walked her way? The thought crossed her mind to smack her head on the floor a few times, just hard enough to knock herself out and save her from the misery of prolonged social contact with someone not in her elite social group, but then Featherpaw would insist on treating her for the rest of her life and Spiderfrost without a doubt would never stop laughing. No, other than getting up and admit defeat by leaving her den, she was forced to sit and just take it. Flickerfrost sighed heavily, audibly, and sent a few, tart, choice words to the heavens.

"
If she told you that, she was lying to you, paw. And if she was lying to you, it was to get you to come and bug me so maybe instead of that, you could just go look for her like you wanted and ask her about it." Her words came out sharp, tight with weariness, but she made no more to leave. Trapped, a rat in a cage - he was sitting now, stretched out in front of her, and staring. She was doomed.

"If you were here so often, then you should know by now that you shouldn't be here when you don't need to be." Idly, she wondered how Spiderfrost dealt with such a high-energy cat like Dawnfire. He was similar to her, in that regard, so she couldn't imagine it was easy. Though, maybe he cared more about his Clanmates that she could put with."There is no such thing as the best patient. The best patient is one that doesn't exist," she snapped, tail kicking up dust from the floor of the den as it twitched. "Perhaps you should go find Spiderfrost then, if not Featherpaw."

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
Dawnfire Avatar
Dawnfire
Oneclan
Apr 27, 2020 1:33:15 GMT
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]The boisterous young tom found Flickerfrost's attitude endearing. He didn't budge, instead beginning to clean up the stacks of herbs he had accidentally knocked over in his amusement.

"Well, I'm definitely allowed to be here! I used to just sit here and chat with the medicine cats. It's part of home to me! You know, you're kind of like Spiderfrost. You're both so frosty."
Dawnfire chattered enthusiastically. He refused to believed that Flickerfrost truly disliked his company. Of course, young Dawnfire had a hard time understanding the fact that he was often annoying.

"The best patient is just one that's here often!"
Dawnfire laughed at his self-proclaimed title. "So I guess I'll stay here as long as possible to make sure I stay that! Do you need help with anything? After you finish eating that vole, of course. I'll get you food if you're still hungry!"

He looked up at the familiar crevices where many herbs were stored. Sniffing, he couldn't help but think about Berrybloom again. Dawnfire had always been a strong believer in StarClan, as his parents were. But there were some cats, like his brother Knotspark, who was not as sure. In times like this, even Dawnfire began to have some doubts about their traditional beliefs. "Say Flickerfrost, does StarClan really live in the sky? Do you think ol' Berry is there?"

225 words

[attr="class","montag"]

PEBBLES
male
hetero
IO
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Apr 28, 2020 19:47:19 GMT
Flickerfrost
The price of YOUR GREED,

There were herbs all over her den. She wanted to sob - how could one cat come in and absolutely destroy everything so quickly? Her entire day was ruined. She had half a mind to just leave and have Spiderfrost take care of it, as it was his own den to begin with, but she knew she couldn't do that without a semblance of guilt talking over afterwards. She sighed exasperatedly, burying her head in her paws, sending out a prayer to StarClan not for the first time for it all to be a dream, for her to wake up in her own den after a bad piece of kill. But alas, it wasn't a dream and Dawnfire was still moving around herbs when she cracked open her eyes. 

"
Put those down! You don't even know what you're doing!" Flickerfrost screeched, scrambling to her feet and pulling what he hadn't already grabbed away from him. She had expected most of it to be ruined, but thankfully, it had not been. What a mess! And on top of it, he had made a -frost comment, something she had spent moons upon moons hearing. Her eye twitched, hidden as she ducked down to root through the scattered herbs.

"
If you wanted to make yourself useful, I'd tell you to go get some new herbs to replace the ones you insist on scattering everywhere, but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to find the correct ones and I doubt you'd be able to bring them back safely." She was getting herself worked up, she knew that, but the stress and tension constantly floating around her weren't working wonders on keeping her calm and relaxed. "So why don't you just go find Featherpaw, let her know what happened, and have her help you replenish what you've just ruined!" True, they weren't ruined, but with them being scattered around on the floor, she doubted that they'd last as long as they would previously. 

Flickerfrost sat back on her haunches, delicately sorting her herbs into separate piles to tuck back into their spots. The question about StarClan threw off her rhythm and she hesitated over a batch of poppy seeds, paw hovering in the air. She couldn't remember ever being asked that question. "
No, I can't say they live among the stars, rather, a different plane of existence. They are here, among us, but not, if that makes sense. But yes, I do believe that Berrybloom would be with them; I cannot picture a reason she wouldn't be." After another moment's hesitation, she continued where she left off in sorting.

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
Dawnfire Avatar
Dawnfire
Oneclan
Apr 29, 2020 19:52:37 GMT
[attr="class","mon2"]

[attr="class","monbody2"]"Well, some cats say otherwise because Berrybloom went mad and never came back... I guess she could still be alive and wandering somewhere," Dawnfire admitted. He didn't like the idea of people mocking the old medicine cat, but he still genuinely missed her after moons and moons. A nostalgic cat he was, but Dawnfire hardly ever took the time to grieve. His cheerful attitude was what everyone was used to.

At Flickerfrost's screech, Dawnfire felt the herbs snatched out of his paws. At this, his ears flattened against his head, "Hey, how rude! I'm trying to help, why are you so grumpy?! They're not ruined. I know they're not. I'm not that clueless, you know? Just because you're a medicine cat doesn't mean you get to look down on everyone."

He put down the rest of the herbs and decided he wasn't helping anymore, wondering why StarClan would choose such a snappy old witch to be their prophet. Sure, he was no medicine cat, but he was sure the was handling the herbs correctly from the many times he had watched as a sickly patient. No wonder Featherpaw was so nervous, her mentor had the patience of a mouse. But Dawnfire said none of this out loud. It was no time to make enemies with the high ranks of other Clans. He gave a second for his fur to lay flat, and then gave a more tame comment.

"Alright, alright. Fine, I'm stupid and can't identify plants. I can fetch you another vole, if you want?"
he grumbled.

246 words

[attr="class","montag"]

PEBBLES
male
hetero
IO
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
May 3, 2020 18:59:40 GMT
Flickerfrost
The price of YOUR GREED,

"She was your medicine cat, she took an oath just like any other, is your Clan really that slow to think that she'd go mental and just take off? How absurd," she hissed, seething. Flickerfrost had once left GorgeClan herself, long ago when Bonestar had first fallen and she was but a -paw. She hadn't been crazy, rather the situation called for her escape to allow things to settle before she could come back. And she had come back, because, like she had just noted, they had taken an oath as medicine cats, as medicine cat apprentices, to serve the Clan for as long as they could. To go back on that, to turn tail and run, was an absolutely insane thought and she refused to think that of Berrybloom. "If you spent so much time lurking in here, I can only assume you spent a lot of time with Berrybloom and you're not stupid enough to believe such an outrageous claim."

Her paws hadn't stopped their actions while she spoke and soon the herbs were once more sorted and pressed back into their rightful places. "No, they're not ruined, luckily enough. But if you throw around herbs like that, scattering them into the wind, they won't last as long as they would safely tucked away. They are fragile, much like the ego of a warrior," she stated dryly, tucking the last of them away and stepping back with an appreciative nod. Some greenery still lined the floor of the den, bits and pieces that had flaked off and then sat lonely and uncaring. Flickerfrost thought it added a bit of color to the den - honestly, it was so droll. 

Her nose scrunched up in yet another sneer as Dawnfire defended himself, calling her rude, of all things. "Rude? Can you expect me to be anything else in a time like this? The Clans have fallen to pieces, warriors are barging in and out of here for either thorns in their pads or they've had a spat with claws because you're all too sensitive to just sit quietly and work together for once! Do you honestly expect me to thank you after you've scattered my hard work around? Honestly!" She scoffed, retreating back to her corner and running her tongue over her paws. The same bits and pieces on the floor had stuck to her paws, getting into her toes and she grimaced. Why could she not have a clean pelt for once? It was always something.

Perhaps she was a bit harsh with Dawnfire, but she was right. She had no time for chatty cats to come in and disrupt the little bit of solitude and peace she could find. Dawnfire once more reminded her of Pinepaw, minus the unintentional murder attempt of all of GorgeClan via The Spore. Still, he had taken her mind off of her racing thoughts from prior to his visit, so she supposed she could be a bit nicer. 

"How about you fetch me whatever you'd like. Impress me, and maybe I'll let you stick around a bit longer, minus the rudeness."

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair

Quick Reply