life after you [ tagged ]

hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
Apr 17, 2020 9:02:15 GMT
hornetcall
i know there's no life after you
[attr="class","bandittext"]The moons felt like they had been growing longer - especially since Berrychirp had announced she was pregnant once again and for once in the many moons of trying, these kits had made it to term and survived birth. Beekit and Honeykit. His heart had been enamorred by the two little red felines. He'd seen the striking resemblence almost instantly in Beekit, but had decided he'd do the right thing and let Huckleberryroot and Berrychirp have their little family - their little corner of happiness. Huckleberryroot had been over the moon when the kits were born and he'd been devastated, but put on a brave face. And he spent a lot of time with the young kits, happy that Berrychirp hadn't pushed him away completely, but he ached for more. He ached for a life that he couldn't have with her and it made it harder to spend time near her.

So he was slowly distancing himself away from her but the constant wondering in the back of his mind if the night they'd shared had produced the kits she'd bore to term, he couldn't be the one to break that illusion. She was happy right now, and if that meant taking steps back and allowing her the happiness she deserved beside Huckleberryroot, he'd do it.

Now that newleaf was upon them, the day was often plagued with a soft mist that penetrated through the leaves above. Today, it was more like a drizzle, dampening his long ginger pelt until it clung awkwardly to his flank. The air was humid and chilled him practically to the bone, but he kept his head held high and ignored the nagging in his mind to return to camp. It was overcrowded lately with cats from all clans and he'd yet to adjust to the scent of MoorClan and GorgeClan mingling with the CreekClanners. They all seemed to be awkwardly adjusting to the new territory they'd been graced with by Stoatstar, and it was awkward to see the way they all just came in and wandered about like they owned the place. While Hornetcall had been skeptical about them joining in the beginning, due to it being leafbare and resources already being scarce, though the banding together had proven what they needed to survive the harsh leafbare where members of their clans continued to grow sick.

So far, the only cat he was remotely close to that had fallen ill was Blossomshine, but he'd never been one to reach out to the airy little she-cat. Still, he hoped for a speedy recovery for all those ill, and not just his clanmates because he knew that there were many who's mates, kits, and friends who were all ill. But mostly, he hoped that it'd mean that the clans would separate and go back to the old way of life. Huffing, he turned his gaze toward the sky and pondered what he'd do next. Things weren't as simple as they'd once been now that Berrychirp was happy and he was alone. And StarClan was he tired of being alone.

The scent of another cat overwhelmed him, but bt the time he'd realized it, he was practically ontop of her, digging his massive paws into the mud to try to stop himself from barreling her over completely, nearly sliding in the mud. "Sorry!" He stammered out, almost startled by the small tabby frame that stood before him. His eyes narrowed a little before looking back up to her face and giving a small nod of greeting. She smelled of MoorClan mixed with CreekClan, but if he was honest, he had no idea who she was.

"Please don't think me rude by asking, but who are you? I'm sure I've seen you around before, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet."

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#508ae4;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
robinflight Avatar
robinflight
Oneclan
Apr 17, 2020 11:12:33 GMT
"Running is a victory."
She didn't like this place.

She understood it was for the good of all the clans and the cats in them and all that other stuff Spirit told them as he announced the merging of Creekclan and Moorclan and Gorgeclan but -

Frustration clouded the young molly's usual cheerful features as she slipped between the trees - nothing like home she didn't like it it wasn't right - in some aimless direction. Robinflight was fairly certain that it was vaguely in the direction of Gorgeclan's - old - border though. Which meant it was far away from something that was familiar to her and wouldn't make her even sadder. Several more minutes passed before she spotted the break in the trees and the young molly bounded forward eagerly, only to skid to a halt at the sight of the clearing.

What in the -?

Before her was a clearing of rocks and flat ground, though even this early in newleaf there was a coating of moss all over the ground. Her head cocked curiously to the side as she approached and paused to paw at the ground. It was so soft, and she could easily imagine warriors and apprentices alike practicing here. Slowly, a grin appeared on Robinflight's face and she bounded forward to frolic and test the area.

The energy eventually left her and she sprawled out on an available rock to take a nap.

-x-

The sound of someone approaching slowly roused her, but it wasn't until she was nearly run over that she jumped to her paws and stared at the newcomer. He smelled so overwhelmingly of Creekclan that she knew he had to have been born and raised in this territory, especially since she didn't recognize him from the moor and there wasn't a hint of gorge on him. Robinflight tilted her head at his question and smiled brightly. If it was a little tight around the edges, she hoped he wouldn't notice. She still wasn't used to all the new cats in a new territory yet.

"You're not being rude at all!" was her chirpy reply, tail swishing despite her nerves. She always did enjoy making new friends. Maybe he would help her get used to her new situation? "I'm pretty sure I haven't seen you before, anyway. My name's Robinflight." She peered around him to see if there was anyone else coming and relaxed when she realized he was alone. "You are - were? are? - Creekclan, right? What's your name? What's this place called? What's it for?" Already she was growing comfortable in this stranger's presence, sitting down and bombarding him questions as she usually did to Skywhisper or her family.

| A/N:
MEL @ ADOXOGRAPHY

PEBBLES
19 moons
Molly
She/Her
Undecided
Moorclan Warrior
arcticwind
hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
Apr 17, 2020 23:54:50 GMT
hornetcall
[attr="class","bandittext"]Hornetcall was thankful that she seemed unphased by the way he'd nearly ran her over only moments before, though he was certainly still scolding himself for thundering around through the undergrowth as if he was the only cat in the forest. The she-cat before him seemed very bright. Her smile seemed a little strained, but if he was being honest with himself, it didn't surprise him in the slightest. After all, he was a stranger to her and if she wasn't at least slightly apprehensive, well he would have wondered if she was right in the head. He'd never had much of a qualm against MoorClan or any of it's cats, so it was easy for him to relax too. Had she been a former GorgeClanner, things might have been different.

All the same, he bowed his head deeply in a polite greeting and offered a charming smile, one the large tabby reserved for very few. "It's very nice to meet you, Robinflight." He said kindly, turning his gaze back up to her face as she continued on with her questions. As childish as it was to think, he found the way she bombarded him so freely with questions refreshing. It felt like most of the cats he'd met from other clans were unwilling to admit that they didn't know anything about CreekClan for fear of pride or something similar and while Hornetcall couldn't necessarily blamed them, he'd deemed it childish weeks ago. His paws were aching from the extra patrols he'd been taking on to ensure there was enough prey to go around. And like always, he did it without complaint, unlike some of the other former CreekClanners.

"That's right, born and raised." He said with a playful smirk as he stuck out his chest, an action that only made him appear bigger. "I'm Hornetcall." Chuckling, he continued on to answer her questions. "Well, this place, if you can believe it, we call the Mossy Clearing because of all the moss that covers the ground. We use it for training our apprentices how to fight and practice sparring among each other." Turning his attention back toward her, he asked, "What was your training area like in MoorClan?" Partially, he was trying to be polite, but he also imagined that she - like many others - missed their home greatly and he hoped that the question wouldn't come off as insensitive.

Slowly, the tom lowered himself to his haunches and tucked his fluffy tail around his paws, turning his attention directly onto her. "I'm sure being here now must be really different... everything I've heard about your territory is that it's wide open spaces as far as you can see. Is that really true?"

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
robinflight Avatar
robinflight
Oneclan
Apr 18, 2020 0:18:29 GMT
"Running is a victory."
Oh thank the stars. At least this stranger was friendly. Not as friendly as she always prided herself to be, but friendly enough to not simply brush her off. He was even answering her questions! His good mood meshed with her own and mellowed the last lingering bits of shyness, even letting her laugh a little at his pose. Though their size difference was apparent - Moorclan and Creekclan lives, after all - she didn't feel threatened by him.

And Hornetcall was such an interesting name, too. Robinflight wondered if it would be considered rude to ask how he got his name. Clan members always knew because of the Ceremony, but outsiders almost never learned. And it wasn't like she wouldn't be willing to answer in kind, though her own name was rather self explanatory.

His description of the place she had stumbled on - the Mossy Clearing - was apparently where they trained their apprentices. She could easily see how the moss provided the perfect cushion for clumsy apprentices learning their moves and sparring with each other. Talk began to turn towards Moorclan's old territory and her mood and smile dipped a couple heartbeats at the reminder she wasn't simply visiting but living in Creekclan's - Oneclan's - territory. "There was no place truly set aside for it," came her answer, bubbly once again at the invitation to speak on what she missed. "I think I was trained mostly in the Lavender Fields? But that's because Honeyheart knew I liked it. Pretty much anywhere you wouldn't accidentally hurt anyone not involved was fair game."

Robinflight's tail gave a happy little sweep on the ground as he sat with her and she grew briefly distracted with how fluffy he was. "Most of Moorclan is - was - open. Everywhere. We had the forest for some variety but it wasn't really used, considering how close it was to the Twolegs. But most of it was so clear that you could stand anywhere and see so far into the distance." A few blinks banished her lost-in-thoughts expression and she ducked her head to give her chest a nervous lick. "I know it must seem beautiful to you since this is your territory, but... I miss home. It's too - close here. Too many cats. I miss being able to run without worrying about trees or that stupid marshland."

"It's gotta be weird with all of us here, huh?" was her next question. The answer was fairly obvious but it seemed like a good one to ask. She didn't know how to talk to these new cats, so used to the seeing the same faces every day of her life as she was. Hopefully Hornetcall could be counted on as a friend; she missed Skywhisper.

| A/N:
MEL @ ADOXOGRAPHY

PEBBLES
19 moons
Molly
She/Her
Undecided
Moorclan Warrior
arcticwind
hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
Apr 18, 2020 4:15:21 GMT
hornetcall
[attr="class","bandittext"]Watching the way the smaller she-cat reacted to the talk of home, Hornetcall wondered if he'd tapped into a subject he shouldn't be asking about. A wave of momentary guilt flooded him and he felt his ears burn red with shame, but she eventually answered his question and her bubbly personality returned once more. It would have survived the warrior had this she-cat not spoken of the moors as fondly as he did the marshy swamps that his clan inhabitted and while he couldn't understand the longing for lavendar fields, curiousity sparked in his amber eyes. "Lavendar? You mean the sweet smelling plants that are used by medicine cats? You have fields of them?" Hornetcall wasn't normally the type to ask such childish questions, but it wasn't often that he found himself able to ask such questions of another clan cat. And if he was honest, most CreekClanner's knew him to be too serious and aloof to bother spending much time with him.

So whether she knew it or not, her company was lifting his sullened mood. It was nice to have something to think about other than Berrychirp and her kits. "Wide open spaces as far as the eye can see? Sounds intimidating. I can't imagine living without the cover of the trees. It may seem cramped, the wide open sky is so... endless." He said slowly, pondering over the word before continuing. "I don't think any one would blame you for missing the place you lived your whole life. I know I miss having things the way they were too..." He paused, quickly backtracking, "Not to say you aren't nice company, just... it isn't the same." He said slowly, hoping his statement wouldn't offend her.

"Is that what you MoorClanner's do for fun? You run?" He asked curiously, not quite sure why anyone would choose to for enjoyment. He much preferred swimming or fishing instead of racing across the ground as fast as his paws could take him. "Well, I can't promise you that you won't hate me after the trip, but..." He started slowly, giving a small smile. "It may not be as much as you remember, but we do have a wide stretch of moors along the border with your clan. However, it's past the Sodden Marsh, and it's quite wet and damp there. I can... show you a safe way through if you want and you can run to your heart's content?" Hornetcall didn't know what possessed him to show such kindness to someone he barely knew, but he couldn't imagine being in her paws and hoped that if they had to go through this experience that maybe they could at least be friends through it. StarClan knew that he needed more of them.

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT
robinflight Avatar
robinflight
Oneclan
Apr 22, 2020 17:15:38 GMT
"Running is a victory."
"Yep!" came her cheery chirp. "Some cats found the smell during greenleaf too strong, but I've always loved. It's really calming, you know?"

Endless. Robinflight would definitely agree with that assessment. Except for her it was in a good way, while it seemed the opposite was true for Hornetcall. She laughed, not at him but at how fast he tried to backtrack from his words. "No, no, no, that's okay. I don't even want to imagine how it would have felt if everyone had come to Moorclan for this whole Oneclan... thing." A careless little wave of her tail as she absently bounced in place. "Honestly, you guys are much calmer about the situation than I would have thought."

The mention of running caught her attention. "I was definitely the one of the biggest runners! Not necessarily the best, but I got into the habit when Honeyheart made me before we would train. It helps me calm down and focus." Was that too much information? She didn't think so. Some of the other warriors from her clan might disagree, but honestly Robinflight decided to just not care. She scrunched her nose when Hornetcall started talking about the Sodden Marsh, but maybe there was something somewhat redeemable about that place that he knew of but she didn't? "Let's go!" She waited, shifting in place, for him to lead the way.

| A/N:
MEL @ ADOXOGRAPHY

PEBBLES
19 moons
Molly
She/Her
Undecided
Moorclan Warrior
arcticwind
hornetcall Avatar
hornetcall
Oneclan
Apr 24, 2020 1:23:52 GMT
hornetcall
[attr="class","bandittext"]The massive ginger tabby found an amused smile tugging at the corner of his lips at her chipper reply. "Honestly, I could see why it would be overwhelming." He admitted. He'd never been one for the sweet smelling flower, though he knew that medicine cat's used it to relax cats who were too high-strung. Part of him had always wondered if he should have been given it a time or two - especially when he ran himself to the point of near exhaustion and collapsing into his nest with the number of patrols and length of time he went hunting most days.

Nodding lightly, the tom found himself thinking fondly of a time when it had just been CreekClan. There had always been plenty, the territory seemed bigger, camp seemed brighter. Now, everywhere he looked there were cats, and many of them were sad and depressed. It made an already dark situation darker. It made the air feel heavier, made him feel claustrophobic in his own nest. The cats had moved in and accepted the home so freely, sleeping among their ranks as if nothing had happened over the last fifty moons. And while there was tension - especially between CreekClan and GorgeClan, most seemed to have left it melt away. Or maybe it just felt like it because there was no other choice to do anything else.

"Maybe it won't be so bad." He offered, with a small shrug of his shoulders. "Having everyone here, I mean. It's been really different. And I think everyone is just tense. No one really knows what to say or how to say it and we're all just trying to make the best we can out of a bad situation." Hornetcall mused out loud, though he quickly tightened his lips and offered a nervous smile in return. He wasn't one to share his inner thoughts often, not even Berrychirp got that side of him, so it seemed weird that he was so willing to offer it to such a stranger. But he was quickly pulled away from the nervous thoughts that trickled in by the way she told him why she ran. Arching his brow, he chuckled again, a deep rumble that settled in his throat. He could understand that. Hornetcall had never really found an outlet for when things became too much to bare - he just simply threw himself into his duties and created tunnel vision toward the end goal - improving his clan.

"Well, from what you've told me, it sounds like a run would do you good." He said with a smile. Rising to his paws, he nodded, leading her to the edge of the mossy clearing and shouldering a large leaf out of the way before flicking his tail for her to go ahead as he held it out of her way. "It's not too far, the marsh itself. You'll smell it before you see it."

PEBBLES
FIFTY-SIX
MALE
HE/HIM
HETEROSEXUAL
WARRIOR
NA
BANDIT

Quick Reply