you teach me and i'll teach you

pearfrost Avatar
pearfrost
Oneclan
Apr 16, 2020 19:16:58 GMT

346 WORDS

pear and alpha training!

An apprentice. Pearfrost had scoffed at the idea. Sure, they were a little short on paws at the moment, but whatever had gone through Littlebird's head puzzled Pearfrost. Not only that, the apprentice would be from MoorClan. Even worse, the apprentice was not even a MoorClan cat. He was the byproduct of some midnight flouncing between a loner and the notorious Wavestep. The little fella had even retained his loner name - Alpha.

She raised her head toward the rising sun and wondered whether Littlebird had done this to keep her around. It was no secret to the rest of the Clan that she considered leaving GorgeClan completely after the death of Plumdew and Peachwish. There was simply nothing to Clan life anymore. And now that the Clans merged? Pearfrost regarded the cats of other Clans with mild disgust. With a sigh, she headed toward where the apprentices' nests were. 

"You done snoozing? I'm going to wait outside," she prodded the black tom that she assumed was Alpha rather pointedly. 

But Pearfrost was not a patient cat. She paced in an annoyed manner, waiting for the young cat to rise. What a pain, she thought, to need to allot half of her days to training this outsider. However, Pearfrost also felt a hint of nervousness. How was she supposed to train an apprentice on a territory mostly unfamiliar to her? Was she supposed to teach him the way of GorgeClan or the way of MoorClan? She had never been good at fishing. Perhaps she would take him closer to MoorClan territory, where land prey was more abundant. 

It was as if the leaders had no hope of dividing into their ancestral Clans again. And that, Pearfrost regarded with great disdain. She had once been so proud of her GorgeClan heritage. But all that did not seem to matter anymore.

She sat down on the cold, soggy, CreekClan ground, her tail twitching impatiently. For now she was obligated to waited for this dark half-blood prince to emerge from his slumber.

LAIKA OF GS!

PEBBLES
Female
hetero
IO
Alpha Avatar
Alpha
Oneclan
Apr 17, 2020 0:26:31 GMT

The harsh dig into his side awoke the tom from his slumber, an annoyed hiss bubbling from his lips as he turned to give the cat that dared to disturb his sleep the mother withering glare he could manage half-asleep. Only nobody was there besides the disappearing tail of his mentor and at that sight dissatisfaction bloomed in his chest. Angry grumbles could be heard as he slowly got up, words such as bossy extras waking him up at an ungodly hour to do training of all things. For fox sake Alpha was confident in his fighting skills and felt he didn't need training. He was skilled and his brutality more than made up for his lack of finesse. Let's not neglect to mention Alpha was disgruntled that he was being train by a she-cat and a small one at that. From his experience women tended to be weaker and more sensitive and while Alpha had no doubt that this she cat could handle herself, he couldn't help the trepidation he felt.

The prickly tom snorted at his mentor, a mocking look on his face as he got up to follow her. "Nah, I was just laying in the dark, by my lonesome - might I add - contemplating life's greatest mysteries and trying to decide if my mentor would be a bumbling mouse-brain of a fool trying to teach me the way of cats long since dead." Alpha couldnt help but spit back as he gave his mentor a withering glare. With he identified the cat in question, pale green eyes looked the small she-cat over. She was simple looking, nothing overly fancy and no real defining features. She was just a plane everyday run of the mill she'cat. Not that Alpha himself could say much, but he wasn't too worried about it. In short Alpha was unimpressed with his mentor. A snort came from him as if he was chuckling at some kind of joke that was so horrendous that it was funny, a roll of his chilling green eyes accompanying his condescending laugh.

"You remind me of my sister..." the midnight colored tom purred out as he passed by his sitting mentor, a coy smirk on his lips that spoke of his superiority. Glancing behind his shoulder he called back to finish his sentence.

"Weak and tiny."

WORDS ● ● ok not long, but it sets the tone xD
deltra of gangnam style

PEBBLES
7 Moons
Male
He/Him
Bisexual
Apprentice
Devi
pearfrost Avatar
pearfrost
Oneclan
Apr 17, 2020 4:07:29 GMT

348 WORDS

here goes entitled girl

It was true, Pearfrost was just about the size of Alpha, or any other apprentice. The tiny runt of a she-cat had already heard it all about her size and plain looks. She was never the one to gain positive attention, and Alpha's reaction to her becoming his mentor was nothing unexpected to her. 

"Suit yourself," Pearfrost said coldly and rolled her amber eyes. "I don't give a fox dung why a uncivilized loner like you came here. But if you insist on staying, Littlebird says I ought to teach you a thing or two about 'weak and tiny.'"

The dark tom clearly did not intend on following her instructions. Pearfrost was not about to care. A day without training was a day off for her. She had no intention of forging any sort of relationship with this incompetent apprentice. In her eyes, it was he that was weak. He was not GorgeClan by blood. There was nothing that could change such a judgment in Pearfrost's book.

"Since you're too tired to train today, just stay home. Hunting goes smoother without the burden anyway."

Of course, if he were not coming hunt, Pearfrost was not about to spare him a piece of fresh-kill later. She bounded out of the camp, most of her heart hoping that the annoying young furball would not follow. Perhaps she would go to the Sodden Marsh today - frogs were something she was developing a taste for since moving onto CreekClan territory. 

Honestly, she was not sure what she would even teach such an unruly brute. All her life, her skills had centered around swiftness and clever tricks. Being a GorgeClan cat, agility in leaping, climbing, and running were core to their muscles. But again, it did not matter now. They were "OneClan" now. Pearfrost snorted at the thought of considering the loner a Clan cat - he clearly did not even have the discipline in him to do some simple training. Any normal Clan apprentice would have been much easier to instruct.

LAIKA OF GS!

PEBBLES
Female
hetero
IO
Alpha Avatar
Alpha
Oneclan
Apr 18, 2020 22:56:13 GMT

Alpha tilted his head at the she-cat's flippant, yet no less, aggressive remark. Much like her he didn't let the words affect him, they just rolled right off him as he steadily watched her stalk off. A deep 'humph' was the only sign of him acknowledging her words before they went on their separet ways. Only he paused at her next words before he bounded over to her retreating form, quickly walking in step with her.

"I ain't tired!" He grumbled out indignantly, eyes narrowed as his young apprentice body fluffed up. "I bet I could catch more prey than you ever could! Alpha boasted with a smug smirk on his face, head held high as he sashayed in front of her. To be honest, Alpha gave little regard to his mentor's feelings towards him, much preferring to poking her whenever he could.

"I don't get why we can't just fight... hunting is so boring," the tom mumbled out as he continued walking in front of his mentor. He'd be honest with himself, Alpha wasn't the best of hunters. It required patience he didn't have, let alone in the first place. The idea of sitting for hours on end stalking prey put an annoyed frown on his muzzle. Who honestly had that kind of time? Certainly not him! He had pranks to pull and cats to annoy to dedicate to hunting. On a happier thought maybe he'd run into Omega. She was always out in the forest, doing who knows what.

260 ● ● i'm notoriously horrible at training threads fyi
deltra of gangnam style

PEBBLES
7 Moons
Male
He/Him
Bisexual
Apprentice
Devi
pearfrost Avatar
pearfrost
Oneclan
Apr 19, 2020 21:40:59 GMT

324 WORDS

croak croak

She was somewhat disappointed the apprentice had not just upped and went back to bed. Pearfrost had already planned for a day of chasing frogs and minnows in the Sodden Marsh alone. But Alpha seemed to constantly do the opposite of what she wanted, so Pearfrost resigned herself to her fate.

"You can't fight on an empty belly," Pearfrost at least acknowledged the younger cat's ridiculous energy. Arrogant, he was. Pearfrost had seen many apprentices return to the camp after their first hunting lesson utterly exhausted. She smirked, "Tell you what. If you're not tired and can make the Clan full in their bellies, we'll do a late night battle session tonight."

Without waiting for Alpha's response, Pearfrost bounded through the marsh. The ground began to grow soggier and wetter beneath her feet. This should be a good location, she thought to herself. It was early morning too, surely those delicious amphibians were around. Frogs were usually harder for young apprentices to catch. They were small, leaped unpredictably, and always alert. However, Pearfrost had no sense of the difficulty of the task and expected Alpha to easily handle it. 

"Frogs are loud creatures, you'll hear them croaking their lungs out miles away and it's easy to locate them. It's catching them that's the trouble; they jump like mad. There's also other amphibians and small mammals around here... but you gotta be quiet, you mouse-brain."

She slapped Alpha's mouth with her tail and stood silent for a short while, the buzz of insects and the forest filling her ears. Alpha obviously knew nothing of the days when the Clans were their separate three. The marsh used to be split between MoorClan and GorgeClan, but Pearfrost had always considered it GorgeClan's since the Bonestar days. 

"You hear anything?" she twitched her ears at Alpha. If the  She swore that once Alpha felt the blood of prey beneath his teeth, he would get addicted to hunting. The problem was getting Alpha quiet enough to sense any prey. She herself had pinpointed several lizards, a frog, and even a few unlucky mice this early morning.

LAIKA OF GS!

PEBBLES
Female
hetero
IO
Alpha Avatar
Alpha
Oneclan
May 8, 2020 0:20:26 GMT

Confusion clouded his features as he gave Pearfrost a weird look. "Why not? I've done it before," He shrugged nonchalantly as if it wasn't a huge deal. He was always fighting, for one reason or another. Food was limited when he lived with Midnight. The moons might have been short, but they were the most impactful to the inky tom. Going a day or two without food was common, even while still living in the clan's Alpha didn't want to be fully reliant on others for food. If he did not catch anything that day, he would not eat or he'd content himself with a mouse. Hardly something to fill his stomach.

Alpha perked up and gave his mentor a quick side look, a challenging look crosses his features as he boasted out "you're on Pearfrost!" Quickly following after her as she bounded through the brush, the ground becoming more and more soggy and wet the deeper they went. The feeling of mud squishing between his toes was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Simply just a feeling Alpha could honestly do without. The slap of his mentor's tail to his mouth startled him, not wholly expecting such a sudden and forceful move from the dainty she-cat. He spat her tail out and gave her a disgruntled look, but nonetheless kept quiet and elected to speak in a hushed whisper.

He made an effort to pay attention to his mentor's words, carefully filing the information for later reference. At Pearfrost's words, he perked up, ears swirling and straining as he attempted to locate where the various croaks, squeaks, and rustling were coming from. "Yeah." It was tough work focusing on a certain noise and then further figuring out the direction it was coming from. A frustrated look crossed his features as he tried scenting the air, finding using his ears to locate prey futile. However, the assortment of smells only served to further confuse him causing him to growl out lowly in frustration. His tail tip twitched in annoyance, but he didn't give up. He had to prove himself to Pearfrost and overcome her challenge. And so this lead him to finally looking around, helpless to his other senses. Looking through the tall brush was difficult, much of it going over his head, but it wasn't long before his green eyes narrowed in on a lounging frog.

Almost instinctively he crouched down even if it was far from perfect and left much to be desired. He didn't care, unaware of how important his hunter's crouch was. Alpha tried to slowly approach, but the eagerness at finally finding prey and proving Pearfrost that he could fill the bellies of the entire clan was just too much. He tensed and leaped too early, clearly misjudging the distance between him and the frog. The frog, having a clear berth and quicker reflexes jump out of his way and disappeared into the thicket. A snarl of frustration left his lips, as he whirled around to Pearfrost not caring about the amount of noise he was about to make. "Fox-dung I had that!"

520 ● ● NOTES
deltra of gangnam style

PEBBLES
7 Moons
Male
He/Him
Bisexual
Apprentice
Devi
pearfrost Avatar
pearfrost
Oneclan
May 9, 2020 20:13:47 GMT

513 WORDS

She could not help but stifle a small chuckle of laughter. Overconfident and eager he was, but Alpha's paws still missed their mark. His growl and clear frustration only demonstrated his rather laughable incompetence. But Pearfrost decided to let this unruly young tom keep his dignity for now. Guess we've all got to start somewhere.

"You very much did not have that," she purred smoothly as if satisfied she had been proven correct. He had landed much too far away from the frog, even with a correct stance, it would have been a questionable catch. "But good start, I wanted to see what you knew so we have somewhere to start working."

She sniffed the air and headed toward some of the still water ponds in the marsh. The ruckus that Alpha made after his catch would scare prey away for miles; they would have to move to a slightly further away location. As they approached the water, Pearfrost spotted a lumpy, brown form that if inexperienced, could easily be mistaken for a lump of mud. 

Without hesitation, Pearfrost threw herself into a quick lunge, pinning the toad against the rock and killing it with a swift bite. Not her favorite of prey, but one to look out for and pick up along the way.

"These, are actually quite easier. Much easier than frogs,"
she dropped the dead toad in front of Alpha. Toads were not really impressive catches, although their size might make them seem so. "They're slow, predictable, and don't jump very far. You just have to come up from their backside and be quick. I usually just pick them up as I come across them. They don't usually get away. They're much better at hiding and camouflaging than frogs though, so keep a sharp eye out."

She glanced back at Alpha as they approached the pool. There should be plenty of frogs, lizards, and other small creatures around here. That is, if Alpha could pin one down. Other mentors might have taken their apprentices to the Mossy Clearing or somewhere less difficult. The ground here was muddy and sucked away at your paws, making it hard to keep quiet, but Pearfrost did not particularly care. She did not understand how hard it might be for a young cat to deal with the vastly different environment. Besides, it better not be something Alpha couldn't handle. 

"Let's try your stance again. You can make yourself lower to the ground, it makes it easier to keep steady. Your positioning and stance is actually quite important. You don't want to leap and then be unbalanced when your prey is struggling to get away. Be patient and get closer to your kill before pouncing." 

A nearby frog gave a happy croak, as if agreeing with her. She had hoped to find a another slow toad that Alpha could practice on, but this would do as well. Pearfrost glanced at Alpha and flicked her tail, "Well? What are you waiting for? The prey isn't going to run into your paws!" 

LAIKA OF GS!

PEBBLES
Female
hetero
IO

Quick Reply