babysitting

littlebird Avatar
littlebird
Oneclan
Jan 3, 2020 3:07:48 GMT
littlebird
if you ever fall down and you can't get back
if you lose your strength to stand
[attr="class","bandittext"]With Ferretmask’s disappearance still fresh on the horizon, nearly a week the she-cat had been gone now, Littlebird found her pawsteps growing heavier with sadness for the loss of a clanmate. There was no explanation nor any clue to where she’d disappeared to and while at first they’d tried to find her, the search couldn’t go on for long. Coyotefall’s death had made it hard to spare extra resources. Their time had to be spent on ensuring that no one else fell ill to this strange illness. Border patrols and hunting patrols went on as usual - albeit it a little chaotic but that was to be expected when the leader had to pull the weight of two. She’d been assigned a back to back shift but did so without complaint, waking before dawn after returning from an evening patrol to serve her clan.

Littlebird found comfort in her clanmates - it was why she was so willing to put aside everything for them. Her own sleep included. That was why when she could have returned to her nest for a couple of extra hours of sleep, she had instead headed off toward the medicine cat den with mice hanging from her mouth for Flickerfrost, Featherpaw, and their (seemed captive) Pinepaw. She’d heard the apprentice griping well into the evening after he’d been confined there - for what she didn’t know. She figured whatever it was, when he’d been dragged back to camp by Fangstar with Flickerfrost in tow, it was something serious. The warrior stopped outside the den and cleared her throat. It was still early enough where there was a chance the felines were sleeping as she hadn’t seen or heard even Pinepaw complaining, in which case she’d simply leave the mice outside the den and head off on her way for another task.

What that would be yet, well she wasn’t quite sure. She hoped simply that she’d be able to find someone to go hunting with - maybe she’d bother Sproutspark seeing as all he was likely doing was lounging about until his late-night patrol. The feline’s ears twitched at the sound of movement from inside the den and she quickly straightened herself a little, though even in her attempts, she’d appear barely bigger than Pinepaw. “G’morning.” She mumbled through the tails that dangled between her teeth, eyes meeting the medicine cat’s and dipping her head respectfully, before she lowered the mice to set them down on the ground before her. “I hope I didn’t wake you. I saw you and Fangstar come in with Pinepaw last night, so I thought maybe you could use an extra paw. Or at the very least, some breakfast?

[newclass=".bandittext b"]color:#b84b4b;[/newclass]

PEBBLES
SIXTY-ONE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
HETERO
CO-LEADER
NA
BANDIT
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Jan 6, 2020 23:53:08 GMT
Flickerfrost
template by punki of adoxography
The price of YOUR GREED,

your sons and your daughters

Flickerfrost was busy. 

More specifically, GorgeClan was busy - in between the disappearance of Ferretmask, their most recent Gatherings and Halfmoon, Coyotecall, the existence of The Spore in general, the Pinepaw and Featherpaw incident, there was just so much to do, and not a lot of time to do it. They were in the thick of Leafbare. Snow pretty regularly fell and it was almost constantly too cold to go out for long periods of time. Worse yet, her herb supply was low, and there wasn't much to resupply that wasn't already dead or halfway there. 

Flickerfrost probably wasn't the most busy, but with her den crowded by Pinepaw and Featherpaw, both who were confined there for their own safety, not to mention the rest of the Clan's, and as punishment, she was constantly doing something. Mostly because Flickerfrost was petty, too, but they didn't need to know that. She was exhausted. She felt she hadn't slept in days, or eaten, for that matter. Her stomach rumbled every so often but she ignored it, moving bleary-eyed to her stash of herbs. It hadn't been sorted since the last outing she had; normally, she'd make Featherpaw do it, but her apprentice was not in the best mindset to do so - as punishment, Flickerfrost was constantly drilling her about the duties of a medicine cat as well as quizzing her on what herbs looked like and their various uses. It didn't matter much anyways. Sorting her herbs and organizing her den was a bit of a guilty pleasure to Flickerfrost, not that she'd admit it to any other cat.

Her attention was drawn to the entrance of her den once a noise was made, and she turned her head so she could see who was walking through. She noticed the body first, trained eyes glancing over every bit of it to ensure there were no visible injuries. Once it was declared there weren't any, she met the eyes of the cat. Littlebird. She returned the greeting with a grunt of her own, turning her attention back to her herbs. If she was needed, she'd find out soon enough. The mice, however, hanging from Littlebird's maw were something to keep an eye on. They better be for her. Sure enough, the offer was made and she rose to her paws, meeting Littlebird at the entrance. She watched the warrior with scrutiny, making sure nothing was amiss before she calmed, dipping her head in a more formal greeting and taking the mice from Littlebird.

"Ah, Littlebird, you might just be my favorite warrior yet," she sighed, pulling two of the mice over to her and kicking the last to her two prisoners. They could share that one until Flickerfrost could decide what to do with the last - she wanted them to worry first. She bit into her meal, sighing contently as her stomach stopped it's screeching. When had she even eaten last? She couldn't be sure. "Pinepaw got himself into a bit of trouble because he cares not about his fellow Clanmates, so he's my prisoner for the time being. He's not too bad, if only he'd just shut up," she groaned, ears flattening to her head once she remembered his insistent rambling. "What do you have in mind for helping? The food was good enough as it was."

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
littlebird Avatar
littlebird
Oneclan
Jan 13, 2020 16:50:19 GMT
littlebird
[attr="class","bandittext"]Littlebird knew that visiting the medicine cat - especially during this time - could not be for pleasure and formalities. Especially since Coyotecall's death, it seemed like everyone was on edge and rightfully so. With part of their territory off limits to them, Littlebird couldn't help but wonder if this was what CreekClan had felt like as they were slowly driven from their territory by an overwhelming force. She'd felt guilty following her clan then, and was thankful now that those days were behind them. Watching the speckled she-cat as she tossed one of the mice toward younger felines, she bit back a purr of amusement and instead kept her gaze steadily on the she-cat she was here to see.

Hearing that the young tabby had found a way to get into trouble, the silver she-cat shook her head and sighed lightly. "I suppose that shouldn't surprise me, given who his father was. I just hoped that Willowfeather would have raised him better." Turning her hardened yellow gaze away from the young tomcat, she carefully thought over her response. It wasn't like Littlebird was more capable than Flickerfrost. If anything, she would likely only be in the way with herbs since she knew essentially what to stay away from and knew of the flowering plants I'm their territory. Nothing that would be considered useful in the dead of winter.

"Whatever you need." She decided on finally, offering a smile in return. "Even if it's just watch the young ones for you so you can have a moment of peace. You need your sanity most of all." Her tone was light, but she meant it. "Otherwise if there's something you need fetched, I can do that too. I haven't got a patrol for a few hours yet and I figure you probably get offers of help the least, so it would be a good place to start."

In truth, Littlebird would work herself to exhaustion and then some for this clan. Not that anyone really needed to know. She only hoped that GorgeClan would find it's way back to greatness as they continued to pick of the pieces and once this illness was finally past them, whenever that might be.

PEBBLES
SIXTY-ONE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
HETERO
CO-LEADER
NA
BANDIT
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Jan 15, 2020 22:01:54 GMT
Flickerfrost
The price of  YOUR GREED,

Flickerfrost kept quiet as Littlebird spoke, continuing to devour her meal as neatly as she could manage in polite company. It still was very clean but it was her den, she could keep it as messy as she wanted. Not that she wanted it messy, honestly she'd go about cleaning the moment Littlebird left and Featherpaw at least knew that, chatting quietly with Pinepaw in the back as they both shared their mouse. She trusted her apprentice to keep things clean and she'd not had a problem with it yet. She finished her mouse, taking one lonely bite of the next before giving that to the apprentices as well. She wasn't full, but she wasn't about to make the apprentices starve any more than her. 

Flickerfrost eyed Littlebird carefully - she knew what the future had in store for the warrior. Of the warriors to pick, Littlebird was an okay one; she didn't seem blood-thirsty or cruel, but you couldn't tell with GorgeClan cats anymore. Truthfully, she didn't even know who Pinepaw's father was, but he was obviously judged for it. "I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with his parents. He's doing the same thing most of you warriors do; you mess around when you're still young, see what trouble you can get into and what you can get away with before you get in trouble and risk becoming a warrior late so then you stop and you behave and the next generation does the same. You can't say you've never seen apprentices getting into trouble."

She flicked her ear, raising a paw to scratch at it. "Though, he's a bit dumber than the rest. I have no doubts he'll be in trouble again soon enough and I doubt he'll become a warrior on time if he doesn't start caring. But what do I care? The longer he stays an apprentice, the less I need to worry about him going out alone and getting himself horribly hurt. Collecting herbs is tiring, you know."

Flickerfrost paused, watching the apprentices finish their meals. "I'm not sure what you can do but I do have an idea. I need to sleep, or at the very least, take a bit of a nap. If you could keep those two in camp and out of my den for just a bit to let me sleep peacefully, it would be much appreciated."

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair
littlebird Avatar
littlebird
Oneclan
Jan 29, 2020 5:16:07 GMT
littlebird
[attr="class","bandittext"]Littlebird turned her attention toward the apprentices as Flickerfrost ate, feeling it rude to stare as the she-cat ate her breakfast. Littlebird personally didn't care to be stared at while she ate, so she only seemed it polite to avoid doing the same. She was acutely aware of the way that Flickerfrost would occasionally cast her gaze up and down across her smaller frame, but Littlebird assumed it merely due to her size. There had been many, many instances where cats did a double take when they saw her among the warriors - even cats of her own clan still seemed in awe of it some days. She'd long since learned to ignore it.

Giving a small nod of understanding to the statement of "what warriors do", Littlebird found herself giving a small shrug. "Some do. I knew more of Blackjaw than I do of any of his kits and while I can't say I think Pinepaw is exactly like him, he sounds just as self absorbed. Maybe that's just a male thing, though." She said, pondering the thought momentarily before shaking her head. Littlebird had lived a fairly lonely existence outside of her apprentices and admittedly, she'd never really felt that pull of attraction toward anyone. Not to say it wasn't there... she'd just never felt it. In her mind, it was for the best.

"But you're right, I can't say that I haven't seen it. I've seen it more times than I care to count. I got lucky with most of mine." She didn't name Stonepaw by name, but quickly continued on, "I just hope he shapes up by the time he needs to and can serve the clan the way he's meant to. It'd be a shame to see a wasted warrior."

She didn't bother lowering her tone, Littlebird tended to be a little outspoken when it came to her own opinions and wasn't frightened to speak them loud enough for others to hear - even when the others were in the same den only a few tail lengths away. Turning her gaze toward Flickerfrost once more, she listened intently to the way that she could be of service to her medicine cat and offered a nod in return. "I'd be happy to watch them for you. Are they free to do chores or do they need to stay separated from the rest of the clan for the time being?" Littlebird figured that would have been a better question to ask before she entered the den, but truthfully, she didn't care at this point. She was here now, and they needed Flickerfrost strong and well rested more than they needed she.

PEBBLES
SIXTY-ONE
FEMALE
SHE/HER
HETERO
CO-LEADER
NA
BANDIT
Flickerfrost Avatar
Flickerfrost
Oneclan
Feb 8, 2020 20:48:20 GMT
Flickerfrost
The price of  YOUR GREED,

Flickerfrost scoffed. "I've not met a male yet that cares more for another cat than he does himself. If they're not beating each other up to show up their strength to one another, their flaunting their bodies around and showboating in every other way, as if we don't have enough problems as it is other than showing who's the strongest tom in the cat. The last thing GorgleClan needs to worry about is who has the sharpest claws - and the quickest temper."

She stood, stretching with a sigh of contentment as her weary limbs popped and burned with the feeling that always came after a good stretch. "Well, I'm not too worried about it. If he doesn't, he can look forward to a nice, long life of cleaning up after elders and checking for ticks and changing bedding and at the very least we'll never had to worry about some other cat doing it. Would be nice for a scheduled nest change," she snickered, away that Pinepaw could hear her and not caring in the slightest.

Flickerfrost made her way over to her nest, shooing away the two apprentices who watched as she moved, meal long gone. They scampered off as she butted them away and she circled her nest once before burying herself in it with a long, drawn-out purr of relief. Instantly, she could feel her limbs numbing themselves with the preparation of sleep and she didn't think she could get up again even if she tried. GorgeClan was fine, and she'd wake if she needed but she was sure Featherpaw could handle anything that could happen for the day. Lazily, she flicked her tail towards her own apprentice, watching her eyes widen.

"Round up whatever apprentices are left in camp that aren't busy and won't be for the for the foreseeable future. That one can teach them a bit about common herbs and their usages." Featherpaw's eyes widened further and Flickerfrost paid it no mind. Her apprentice would have an apprentice of her own one day, she saw nothing wrong with training her to teach early. "As for that one," she gestured towards Pinepaw, the familiar warmth of annoyance prickling her, "well, he's stuck on chore duty, whatever you can think of. Just keep him busy. They're not contagious, just stupid. And thanks again, Littlebird, you certainly are a life-saver."

PEBBLES
Female
She/Her
Asexual
Medicine Cat
Featherpaw
Kein Dong Knot Jair

Quick Reply