adder Avatar
adder
Outerclan
Dec 13, 2019 21:39:27 GMT
ADDER
@briar
- another mother's breaking heart is taking over -
'Adder, mighty hunter. Killer of flying things. Slayer of birds.'

He pressed his dark form as close to the ground as possible, his claws kneading into the earth as his golden eyes fixed on his target. A small, brown bird had taken its rest, as it passed through the marsh, on a branch mixed into a pile of washed up debris on the edge of the water. Mother had found a spot called the Hideout. Another cat had shown her, but Adder couldn't remember their name. But, a lot of cats came and went. He wasn't used to being around so many cats, he didn't like it. He didn't like them. He tried to stay out of their way and stay by mother's side. But he was so bored. He was batting around a pebble when he saw the small winged creature make a landing. 

His eyes narrowed and his pupils widened in preparation for his leap. Maybe if he caught dinner it would show mother that they didn't need these other cats. They could take care of each other and he could help. He wasn't useless, he will catch this bird for her. His rear end gave the tiniest of wiggles before he pushed himself off the soft ground and after a couple leaps, he sprung into the air toward his find. 

But the bird flew away with more than a couple seconds to spare and Adder landed in defeat on the debris. His body slid across the damp wood as he felt something scratch his flank and he winced. He instinctively dug his claws into whatever was closest to him as his back paws dipped into the icy cold water. He felt the branches and logs shift under his claws and felt his tail and rump sink into the water. He struggled to pull himself to safety and he cried out for the only person he knew would save him. "MAAAAMAAAAA!" the half-soaked tom kit wailed desperately. He squeezed his eyes shut in fear. "PLEASE MAMA, HELP!" He clawed desperately toward shore, knowing it could only be moments before his rescue.... right?
350 words,

what are kids for if they don't give you a good heart attack? Hahaha poor briar xd
template by punki of adoxography

PEBBLES
16 moons
Tom
Loner
Renegade
Dec 14, 2019 14:27:52 GMT
im cornered in
fire
so break out the
secrets
While she hadn't been entirely thrilled about joining a band of rogues, The Hideout seemed like a relatively safe place to let her and her kit stay. It was well guarded, and Joker had welcomed her openly...or as openly as she would have expected one rogue to welcome another. And while she didn't have to do much around here, she did have to hunt. She had to attempt to pull her weight, and with an added mouth to feed...well it meant working double time. 

Thankfully, plenty of clan training had given her an added advantage to hunting. It was something that they had trained her for, to provide for the clan. And now, she was providing for herself and her kit....and to an extent some sort of others. But these others were different, and as she stalked along the forest floor in attempts to find some sort of prey in the dead of leaf-bare, her ears caught the sound of what could only be Adder. 

Instantaneously her skull picked up, ears swiveling to detect the direction in which the cry for help came from. Muscular appendages went into action, pulling her towards the small tom. Her amber eyes looked ahead, hoping she could find some sort of clue to where he was. Relying on instincts she called out, "Adder?!" Her orbs continued to scan as she moved along, finally spotting the young tom sinking into the water, slowly...but surely. 

She shook her head lightly before going to work, limbs climbing the dead trees and debris with moon worth of experience compared to the younger feline. She was quick lower herself to him, maw opening to reach for his scruff as she hauled her son from the icy water. She was quick to lick at his fur, she needed to fluff it up and get it to dry or he would freeze. 

"WHAT are you doing out here?!" She hissed between licks, worry stirring up anger. "You could have drowned!" Her skull leveled with his as her tail curled protectively around him and her eyes stared directly into his own. 

● silently whispering wtf to herself.

MADE BY VEL OF GS + ADOXOGRAPHY 2.0

Deleted
PEBBLES
adder Avatar
adder
Outerclan
Dec 14, 2019 18:07:07 GMT
ADDER
@briar
'I can't feel my toes,' the pathetic kit whined silently to himself. He clung to the damp wood with any strength he could muster up. The scrape and his side throbbed and he mewed softly in response. Oh, how could this have gone so wrong? He just wanted to help and show mother how he could take care of them. They didn't need these scary, mean cats when they had each other. She had to see that, too, right?

And on the subject of the maternal heroine, his ears instinctively pricked to the sound of her voice and his body willed for him to seek her out. But, alas, he could pull himself free of the watery pull he had fell into. He tried to call out a response, but when he opened it mouth only a shrill whimper slipped out. The water was so cold and he shivered as his body temperature dropped, she would be here soon. He just knew it.

As if his will for her to come were enough he heard the steps of another approaching, which could only be his mother. And when he felt pressure on the back of his neck he felt relief flood through his tiny, shivering body. After she had whisked him away from what would have been a chilly, dangerous swim, her tongue felt warm as she covered him with licks to dry his sopping wet fur. He flinched at the tone in her voice. Of course she was upset, she was upset, she didn't understand. He was helping, not fooling around. He had to explain, but found words hard to find beneath his shivering. He desperately scrambled into her belly, seeking shelter from the cold leaf-bare air. He pressed against her soft underbelly, seeking comfort from the fear he had just experienced or solace from the cold? Or both?

Jaw chattering, he finally was able to spit out a few words to offer to her, "B-b-bird, f-f-food, help-p-p.." He nuzzled his nose deeply into her, aware that they were still too close to the water for his comfort. He vowed to never go near such big water again, even for a tasty bird. In that moment, he never wanted to be away from mama again, nowhere was safe without her. He peered up at her with sad, scared eyes, and the smallest of pouts. 'I'm sorry, mama,' he willed himself to say. But again, he couldn't find a voice to carry his message.
414 words, how can you be mad at such a cute face? Xd

PEBBLES
16 moons
Tom
Loner
Renegade
Dec 17, 2019 17:26:32 GMT
im cornered in
fire
so break out the
secrets
She let her tongue continue to rasp at his fur. While the air was chilly, it could be even worse if she didn't allow it to dry out the soaking kit. Leaf-Bare was hard enough, let alone when you put yourself in situations that made you more prone and susceptible to illnesses. And here she was, attempting to warm a shivering kit...her shivering kit. 

As his words reached her ears, she sighed softly. Her paws pushed her body upwards to allow him more room as he curled into her warm underbody. While she was petite, he too had inherited her smaller stature and thus she was able to attempt to hide him away in her warmth. "You don't need to be worrying about food. I can hunt for both of us. You just need to stay safe while I do so." Her tone softened as she touched her nose to the top of his head. 

While she was surely disappointed, she was more relieved that nothing entirely terrible had happened to him. "What if I hadn't been close by Adder? Hmm? It's only us, there's nobody else. You are all I have young one." Being the only parent, it was hard. And his father, well...that was a subject she didn't wish to touch and very rarely would.   

● poor worried mama. 

Deleted
PEBBLES
adder Avatar
adder
Outerclan
Dec 17, 2019 19:39:45 GMT
ADDER
TAGS TAGS TAGS
At Briar's tireless effort to warm him, he started to retrieve feeling back into his limbs. The shivering began to subside as he focused on his breathing and began licking at his own chest, copying his mother's motions. Hearing her words were comforting. It was a safe feeling to know someone was taking care of him, looking out for him. But he wanted to do more. He wasn't a tiny defenseless kit anymore. Despite of the situation that had unfolded moments beforehand. Maybe he didn't make the best choice, but he didn't know how unstable this part of the ground was. His ears flattened, embarrassed that he had to be rescued.

"But, I can help," better able to articulate now that the shivering  had slowed. "Can't I, mother?" When was she going to teach him to hunt, to help? And while he realized this wasn't the best time to argue his capability, if she could show him the right way, the safe way. Then maybe she wouldn't have to worry about him so much and he could take some of the stress of survival off his mother's shoulders.

He wanted to giggle at her next words. She was always nearby. And Adder liked it that way. He pushed his way his urge to laugh as this was no laughing matter. He didn't want to make her mad again. Instead he settled with, "I know, mother. I'm sorry.." He did feel guilty for making the poor molly worry so much. Would her life be easier if he had never come along? He peeked through her legs at the place she had pulled him out of and shuddered. He wanted to get away. "Can we go now, mother? I'm scared." Stupid big water. Stupid tempting bird. Stupid Adder.
296, oof sorry so short

PEBBLES
16 moons
Tom
Loner
Renegade
Dec 18, 2019 19:36:53 GMT
im cornered in
fire
so break out the
secrets
Briar couldn't help but feel somewhat at fault. As the kit had grown before her eyes, she had continued to shelter him from the outside world. And while in the clans, he would have become an apprentice and started to learn to defend himself...she was still treating him as if he relied solely on her. Perhaps it was her need to keep him close, to constantly have someone. What if he were to grow up, become independent, and move on? 

The lithe tabby sighed, finding herself at odds with her brain and her heart. "You can. We should be teaching you more, and for that I am sorry. I've just been busy, trying to get us settled in and to keep us...mainly you...safe." She peered down at him, a smile on her face as she attempted to make light of the situation. She couldn't place the blame forever on him, it was not his fault for trying to become an older, more experienced cat. 

As he spoke more, she trailed his gaze to the water and couldn't help but laugh softly. "We can. Perhaps let us get further from the water's edge and if you're feeling warmed up we can try to get some proper training into you." Her limbs extended, her tail sweeping behind him to guide him away from the cold liquid. If they could find a sheltered area, they could perhaps get him into the proper hunting stance...at the very least.  

● mine is just as short! lol 

Deleted
PEBBLES
adder Avatar
adder
Outerclan
Dec 19, 2019 15:29:08 GMT
ADDER
@briar
Warm. Adder wanted to be warm. And if he was being honest could use a nap and something to eat. Would this be a bad time to tell his mother hes hungry? She was trying so hard, even Adder could see that. If there was one thing he knew he would never have to doubt, it was his mother's devotion and love. The way a kit should feel. He never had to worry about his next meal or where he would be sleeping that night, his mother had that figured out for him. And, again like most kits, he took that for granted. He wouldn't truly realize the lengths Briar went for him or how lucky he was to have such a caring mother until he was grown. 

Then, she revealed something that made his heart leap. Was she finally going to teach him to hunt and, maybe if he was lucky enough, some fighting moves?!  Adder had found memories of play fighting with his mother as a young kit, but that was just play and he knew now how silly he was in thinking he actually overtook her. He wanted to know her secrets, how she was such a great hunter and how she was always able to defend him from harm. Forget the nap he wanted to start now! Maybe he could catch himself a snack! Oh, how proud would mother be if he caught something on his very first day in lessons! He rear wiggled excitedly, shifting his weight from paw to paw. 

"Do you mean it?!" He could hardly suppress a giggle through his thrill. "I want to catch a mouse or a squirrel or even a rabbit! Do you think I could do that, mama?! Oh and maybe you can teach me how to take down a fox! I bet I would be good at that." As Briar began to guide him away from the water, Adder sprung ahead. Suddenly fully energized, he snickered maniacally as he called behind him, "I bet I can beat you there!" His little legs only stumbling every few steps over the debris, he took off in a sprint, determined to show his mother just who was the fastest, here.
370 words, love channeling my inner child through him ^^

PEBBLES
16 moons
Tom
Loner
Renegade
Dec 23, 2019 14:26:43 GMT
im cornered in
fire
so break out the
secrets
As she guided him away, and his words caught up with their conversation she couldn't help but smile at his enthusiasm. She let a soft laugh leave her maw. He was so eager to learn, but life had been good to him thus far. It hadn't shoved him hard or put him in his place. And if she was going to ready him for that moment, she would have to get his eagerness in check. Or at the very least, she would have to learn to instill tough love perhaps a little more. 

"I don't know that we'll get all of that quite accomplished today. But part of it for sure." Her voice was soft as she watched him bound ahead, and her long limbs broke into a steady pace to let her stay just behind the smaller cat. As they reached a thicketed area. The wind was slightly less here and would be a fairly protected area. She let a small chatter out into the air, signaling to him to stop the crazy antics and stop. 

"Alright little one, would you rather learn some defensive moves or hunting moves?" She let her eyes land gently on him, their softness showing the true love she held for him. And while she loved him and could only hope to protect him forever, she also knew that she could would have to let him be independent some day.  

● meanwhile i have the fretting mother like seriously child xD worrying bout kits RPing and in RL. 

Deleted
PEBBLES
adder Avatar
adder
Outerclan
Dec 23, 2019 18:10:03 GMT
ADDER

She was right on his paws, he could hear her paw steps not a tail length behind him as he raced toward the undergrowth. He felt exhilarated as he sprinted, imagining he was being chased by a fox and he had to escape before it swept him up in its strong jaws and snapped him like a twig. Blood pumped in his ears and all his senses were alert. He leaped onto a small boulder and then just as quickly pushed off it and into the thicket.

A signal from his mother reached his ears and he skidded to a halt. There was plenty of cover here from predators and rouge cats alike. They wouldn't be bothered while he was being taught. His heart still beating wildly in his chest from his run, he turned back toward Briar, panting. It gave him a moment to think about her question while he caught his breath. He was eager to learn to fight, but since hunting was what had gotten him into that mess beforehand, perhaps that would be the place to start. He dropped into a hunter's crouch, or at least the best one he could manage. His rear was much too high and his balance all over the place. "Teach me to hunt!" He answered cheerfully. Adder's haunches wiggled with anticipation, eager to start as he crept along pretending to stalk a nearby pinecone.
234 words
@briar

PEBBLES
16 moons
Tom
Loner
Renegade

Quick Reply